By Al Myers
Hopefully everyone took the trivia contest the other day over the history of the National Championships. Today I’m going to go over the answers, and since this is a self-graded trivia contest – check your own answers. If you are brave enough please share your results on the USAWA Discussion Forum. The answers to all these questions can be found in the History Archive here on the website.
1. What is the year of the first National Championships?
1988. The first USAWA National Championships was held July 9-10th, 1988 at Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania. It was promoted by John Vernacchio.
2. Name one lift that has been contested in 10 or more National Championships?
7 lifts have been contested at Nationals 10 or more times. They are the Zercher Lift (16 times), The Deadlift – One Arm (15 times), the Pullover and Push (13 times), The Clean and Press – Heels Together (12 times), The Snatch – One Arm (11 times), The Hip Lift (10 times), and the Neck Lift (10 times).
3. Only a handful of USAWA meet promoters have promoted 3 or more Championships, Name one.
Actually this list is quite long. Here are possible answers.
John Vernacchio – 1988, 1989, and 2004
Art Montini & John McKean – 1991, 1999, and 2002
Frank Ciavattone – 1996, 1998, and 2016
Denny Habecker – 2000, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2015
Al Myers – 2006, 2009, and 2012
Bill Clark & Joe Garcia – 1995, 1997, and 2001
4. Name 5 states that have hosted Nationals.
The 7 states that have hosted Nationals are: Pennsylvania (12 times), Ohio (6 times), Massachusetts (4 times), Missouri (4 times), Kansas (2 times), Nevada (1 time), and Illinois (1 time).
5. The 25th anniversary of the Nationals was held where?
The 25th USAWA Nationals was held in Las Vegas, Nevada on June 30th, 2012. This year (2017) marked our 30th anniversary of the USAWA National Championships.
6. Name 3 men lifters who have won Overall Best Lifter at Nationals.
These 16 men have won overall best lifter titles at Nationals: Al Myers (7), Art Montini (4), Bob Hirsh (3), Ed Schock (3), Steve Schmidt (2), Barry Bryan, Joe Ciavattone Sr., Joe Ciavattone Jr., Mike McBride, Bill DiCioccio Sr., John Monk, Denny Habecker, Jim Malloy, Larry Traub, Randy Smith, and Chad Ullom
7. Name 3 women lifters who have won Overall Best Lifter at Nationals.
These 15 women have won overall best lifter titles at Nationals: Noi Phumchaona (4), Susan Sees (3), Jacqueline Caron/Simonsen (3), Jeanne Burchett (2), Amorkor Ollennuking (2), Amber Glasgow, Cindy Garcia, Cassie Morrison, Kerry Clark, Cara Ciavattone, Su.J. Mason, Rita Hall, Pam Maciolek, Elizabeth Month, and Molly Myers
8. What month is the most common month Nationals has been held?
June – 21 of the 30 Nationals have been in this month.
9. Out of our close to 200 official lifts in the USAWA, how many have been contested at prior Nationals. Multiple choice here. A. Under 25, B. 26-75, C. 76-125, D. Over 126
ANSWER IS B. 55 of our official lifts have been contested at a past National Championships.
10. TRUE/FALSE The USAWA National Championships has always been a two day meet.
ANSWER IS FALSE. 9 Nationals have been one day events. However, the first one day Nationals wasn’t till 2006.