Club of the Year 2016
By Al Myers
Every year the USAWA gives out several special awards to recognize outstanding performances. One of these awards is the CLUB OF THE YEAR, which is for the overall best club in the USAWA.
Unlike the other USAWA awards where the winners are selected by nomination and vote of the membership, the Club of the Year is earned. It is based on a point system where each club earns points for various involvements in the USAWA throughout the year. I think this system is very fair – and it makes it easy for me to calculate all clubs point totals. This is the guidelines for which a club earns points:
Club Awards are determined by adding up club points using this 4-Step System:
1. One point awarded to the club for EACH USAWA registered member that lists the club as their affiliated club on their membership application. This designation is also listed beside the members name on the membership roster.
2. Two points awarded to the club for EACH club member that participates in the National Championships, World Championships, and Gold Cup. Points are awarded for each competition, so if one club athlete competes in all three of these big meets it would generate 6 points for the club.
3. Three points awarded to the club for EACH USAWA sanctioned event or competition the club promotes.
4. Four bonus points awarded to the club for promotion of the National Championships, World Championships, and Gold Cup.
Another standing rule is the that defending Club Champion is ineligible the following year, but has the honor of presenting the new USAWA Yearly Club Champion the award. This was put in place so one club would not dominate winning the award year after year. The Dino Gym won this award last year, so it’s my honor to announce this year’s winner!!! Now for the drum roll please……
The winner of the 2016 USAWA CLUB OF THE YEAR goes to …..
FRANK’S BARBELL CLUB
Frank’s Barbell Club dominated the race this year for Club of the Year. They generated an unbelievable point total of 59 points. I will have to do some checking but I don’t think any club has generated that many yearly points before. They accomplished this by having 15 registered club members: Lindsey Beavy, Frankie Ciavattone, Frank Ciavattone, Jeff Ciavattone, Micheal Driscoll, James Fuller, David Gago, Jessica Hopps, Kim Lydon, Cassie Morrison, James Morrison, Rocky Morrison, James Patterson, Tony Patterson, and Mark Raymond. The club also promoted the 2016 USAWA National Championships under the direction of club leader Frank Ciavattone.
The final standings for the top 5 Clubs are as follows:
1. Frank’s Barbell Club – 59 points
2. Habecker’s Gym – 33 points
3. Ambridge Barbell Club – 12 points
4. Clark’s Championship Gym – 11 points
5. KC Strongman – 10 points
This award will be officially presented at the 2017 National Championships in conjunction with the Awards Presentation. Congratulations to Frank’s Barbell Club!