Dino Gym Club of the Year
by Al Myers
Every year the USAWA gives out yearly awards honoring special achievements amongst the membership for the prior year. This Awards Program began in 2009. The award recipients are voted on and chosen by the membership with the exception of the Club of the Year. This award is earned on merit -with points being accrued by participation in the USAWA by each registered club. I just calculated the club points for all registered clubs in 2013 – and I’m excited to announce the Club of the Year for 2013 is the DINO GYM! This is a team effort with each club member earning points. For this I want to congratulate the Dino Gym members: Darren Barnhart, Rudy Bletscher, Scott Campbell, Chuck Cookson, Ben Edwards, Tasha Ullum, Alan English, Mark Mitchell, LaVerne Myers, Molly Myers, Dean Ross, Scott Tully, Brianna Ullum, and Chad Ullom. Extra points were generated by club participation in the “big meets” by Molly, Bri, LaVerne, Dean, Chad and myself.
Club Awards are determined by adding up club points using this 4-Step System:
1. One point awarded to the club for EACH USAWA registered member that lists the club as their affiliated club on their membership application. This designation is also listed beside the members name on the membership roster.
2. Two points awarded to the club for EACH club member that participates in the National Championships, World Championships, and Gold Cup. Points are awarded for each competition, so if one club athlete competes in all three of these big meets it would generate 6 points for the club.
3. Three points awarded to the club for EACH USAWA sanctioned event or competition the club promotes.
4. Four bonus points awarded to the club for promotion of the National Championships, World Championships, and Gold Cup.
Habecker’s Gym won the Runner Up spot in the Club of the Year Award. Despite only having 3 registered gym members (Denny Habecker, Judy Habecker, and Barry Bryan), thru big meet participation and promotion of the 2013 Nationals and 2013 Gold Cup by club leader Denny, they secured a solid second place finish.
Club of the Year Final Standings (Top Five Listed)
1. Dino Gym – 46 points
2. Habeckers’s Gym – 28 points
3. Frank’s Barbell Club – 20 points
4. Ambridge BBC – 10 points
5. (tie) Clark’s Gym – 7 points
5. (tie) – Jobe’s Steel Jungle
Frank’s Barbell Club came in fourth by being “well rounded” in their point generation, and getting points in all areas. The club had 5 registered members (Frank Ciavattone, Jeff Ciavattone, Colleen Lane, Jessica Hopps, and James Delaney), had participation in the Nationals and Gold Cup by Frank and Colleen, and promoted three meets (including the Heavy Lift Championships).
Ambridge BBC came in fourth – all due to one man! Art Montini was the only one from the Ambridge Club to register membership in the USAWA for 2013, but thru Art’s devotion to the USAWA by participation in Nationals, Worlds, and the Gold Cup, plus promotion of his annual birth day bash he generated all the points himself!
You may notice that the 2012 Club of the Year Ledaig HA is not listed on the above list. There’s a reason for that – the defending Champ is not eligible the following year. This was put in place originally as to not allow the same club to win the club of the year award year after year. The Ledaig HA Club will have the honors of presenting the Club of the Year awards this year at the National Championships during the awards ceremony.
All together there were 13 registered clubs in the USAWA for 2013. All of these clubs need mentioned as they are the “backbone” of our memberships. Over 75% of our yearly membership comes with lifters affiliated with a registered club. The USAWA Clubs for 2013 were: Al’s Dino Gym, Ambridge VFW BBC, Clark’s Championship Gym, Frank’s Barbell Club, Habecker’s Gym, Jackson Weightlifting Club, Joe’s Gym, Jobe’s Steel Jungle, KC Strongman, Ledaig Heavy Athletics, Salvation Army Gym, Schmidt Barbell Club, and M&D Triceratops (owned and operated by the late Dale Friesz). Making the “TOP FIVE” is a great achievement for any club, and one each USAWA club should strive for!