Home Forums General Discussion Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Travis Willingham
        Participant

It showed for a week at the little independent movie theater here in KC and I went with some guys I train with. The theater was packed full of people and we got there during the previews and heard comments made about us as we walked in, being all fairly big men.

I thought it was very entertaining from a movie stand point. And even though it was meant to be fairly neutral regarding stance, I thought it may have been a little pro-PED. It definitely made you think though. I guess I was a little naive regarding drugs before I saw that and really didn’t realize it was so prevalent in strength sports. I guess since I never saw drugs or people using them that it somehow meant it didn’t happen more.

The one thing that stuck with me was Mark Bell’s comment to his wife about not being able to tolerate being able to squat 800 and then only squat 700 if he went off drugs, or something to that. I have that problem now losing weight. It really showed that guys get addicted to the performance the same way people get addicted to other drugs. I’ve seen geared powerlifters with the same attitude, like they can never go back.

Al Myers
          Keymaster

The documentary was done very professionally. It did present the Pro-drug side alot – and gave insight to the motives of those involved. I was impressed with how Greg Valentino presented himself with his responses. He was a well-built bodybuilder before his quest with big arms started. He even admitted to suffering from the “little man complex” that provided his motivation. I was amused by Louie’s comments, especially the one regarding Smelly going off, “he’ll be back on.” I absolutely agree that steroids are psychologically addictive – more so than physically addictive. The movie took a big slam on Arnold and his hypocrisy regarding the issue. It even took shots at my wrestling hero the Hulkster. What about the segment on supplements and the regulation of them? I had no idea that someone could hire a couple of guys off the street to mix up a little creatine with rice flour, label it as “proprietary ingredients”, print some labels up and hand stuff the pills. That is crazy!! I don’t even take supplements for fear of what is really in them, and now I won’t for sure. If anyone gets a chance to see this show (I think it was on Cinemax)- watch it. Al

Chad Ullom
            Participant

I just added it to the top of my blockbuster que! I think I’m like you Travis, I just assume there arent’ that many people using. I just don’t understand risking your health for a hobby!

Travis Willingham
              Participant

Not only that, but I would just feel like a cheater.

Thom Van Vleck
                Participant

I have been a counselor (Licensed Professional Counselor, National Board Certified Counselor, and a Certified Substance Abuse Counselor) for about 18 year total. During that time, I’ve worked with a good number of athletes in this area.

When I was doing the substance abuse counseling exclusively, you would see trends. For example, we would start getting referrals of teens from a certain town for a certain drug in clusters. When they would come in, they would all know each other and be getting their drugs from the same source. On more than one occassion, we would have a local sports team do well, go to state, seemingly dominate. Then I’d start seeing them come into treatment. One kid was in for meth. His local football team had a great season and he had rushed for 200 plus yards a game. He told me that a local doctor (who’s son was on the team) was supplying them with steroids and administering them. He told me that before games they would take pain pills, meth, and then go crazy on the field. Then later, he’d end up drinking himself into a stupor trying to come down from this. He had been referred to me after he punched about a hundred holes in his bedroom wall and then attacked his mother. She refused to contact police. My point is, I had many high school kids locally (in a very rural area) that would admit using drugs for performance, Meth and steroids being a couple of big ones, then using marijuana and alcohol to come down. Now, when a local team seems to be playing beyond their capabilities….I wonder.

Everyone on here knows how I feel about this and how passionate I am about it. Only the survivors get to tell their story and these things add up over a lifetime.

Thom Van Vleck
                  Jackson Weightlifting Club
                  Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Travis Willingham
                  Participant

WOW!

I think I really am naive about how much it happens. My son is nine weeks old now and I thought of him while reading that. To think if I ever heard he did that on a football team, he would sure be in for an ass whoopin, as would the doctor who assisted that.

raymo
                    Participant

[b]Quote from Travis Willingham on July 20, 2010, 13:52[/b]
                      It showed for a week at the little independent movie theater here in KC and I went with some guys I train with. The theater was packed full of people and we got there during the previews and heard comments made about us as we walked in, being all fairly big men.

I thought it was very entertaining from a movie stand point. And even though it was meant to be fairly neutral regarding stance, I thought it may have been a little pro-PED. It definitely made you think though. I guess I was a little naive regarding drugs before I saw that and really didn’t realize it was so prevalent in strength sports. I guess since I never saw drugs or people using them that it somehow meant it didn’t happen more.

The one thing that stuck with me was Mark Bell’s comment to his wife about not being able to tolerate being able to squat 800 and then only squat 700 if he went off drugs, or something to that. I have that problem now losing weight. It really showed that guys get addicted to the performance the same way people get addicted to other drugs. I’ve seen geared powerlifters with the same attitude, like they can never go back.

I have the same problem with losing weight wher if I decide to lose weight i am afraid my bench press is going to go down. I t was a good Movie.

KCSTRONGMAN
                      Keymaster

I found that movie rather offputting.
                        ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Chad Ullom
                        Participant

I just finished it too, & I agree Eric. It did seem pretty pro steroid. I wouldn’t want any young kids watching it!

Thom Van Vleck
                          Participant

I heard about that movie and heard it seems to glorify….so I avoided it. The evening news riles me up too bad….I don’t need extra! haha

Thom Van Vleck
                            Jackson Weightlifting Club
                            Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Randy Smith
                            Participant

I recommend watching the deleted scenes, etc, that are available on the DVD. There’s a lot there that seems to have been left out just to keep the length of the film down. It was one of Sports Illustrated’s top rated sports films a year or two ago.

The performance enhancing drug use among nonlifters such as musicians and military pilots (see the deleted scenes) is interesting.

Participant

watched it, enjoyed it. learned some things. in the end you make your OWN decisions.

slainte!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.