Can you post?

Home Forums General Discussion Can you post?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Can you post?

Travis Willingham
        Participant

Just signed up. Name is Travis Willingham and I currently live in Blue Springs, Missouri. I’ve never done a usawa competition but it seems interesting so I may end up doing one eventually, if I ever learn any of the events.

Al Myers
          Keymaster

Welcome Travis!!

For those of you who don’t know Travis – he is the 4th American to ever lift both Dinnie Stones unassisted! I believe you did it last September?

Travis – you would “fit right in” with the USAWA. Alot of lifts are determined by “gripping strength” and that is something you got!!

I “attempted” the Dinnie Stones in 2005 when I was in Scotland competing in the Highland Games. I was able at the time to lift the smaller stone unassisted with both hands, but the big one was just out of my grasp. But these past 5 years in All-Rounds has increased my “hook grip” strength tremendously and I sure would like another shot at them. Al

Participant

travis will be an outstanding addition to the “clan”. TONS of pulling strength!

welcome, trav!!

Thom Van Vleck
              Participant

I’m in…..whether you want me or not!!!!haha

Thom Van Vleck
                Jackson Weightlifting Club
                Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Travis Willingham
                Participant

Thanks all.

I always considered my grip to be weak and never figured I’d get the Dinnies barehanded. I had straps sitting behind me on the bench waiting to be used. I’ve done some lifts with rings since I’ve been back without a hook grip just to try to strengthen my grip, and because one thumb was sore for a while. The Dinnies took a piece of my thumb on my 3rd lift as a wrinkle got in the wrong place and was pinched off. I was just getting warmed up but instead had to go inside to ease the pain at the bar.

I assume Rainbow Bend is Dave Glasgow, I was just telling him at the KC games that I intend to go back for my 40th birthday (4 years next month) and just do a stone tour to hit all the other stones I missed when I was there. This last trip was a vacation/anniversary trip so I didn’t want to drag my wife around just for me to lift. She knows this next trip will include lots of stones. I intend to find the Menzies, Inver, Dalwhinnie, the Fianna Stone and visit the Dinnies again.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.