Thom Van Vleck
      Participant

Clark’s Gym

Thom Van Vleck
        Jackson Weightlifting Club
        Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
        Keymaster

I’ll definitely make a couple of them. Someday I hope to make the Zercher, but with it being the end of January is a TERRIBLE time for me to get away. We have only one conflict with the Clark’s Gym Schedule and the rest of the USAWA’s schedule – and that is the Heavy Lift Championships are on the same day as the Gold Cup. I tried to call Bill last night, but couldn’t get ahold of him. I doubt he knows of these two being on the same day, and I wanted him to know. Truthfully, I can only think of a couple of lifers who this would cause problems for (myself and Chad). The Heavy Lift Championships draws a slightly different crowd than the Gold Cup. I do know Bill didn’t allow big meets to be sanctioned on the same days in the past, and by me allowing this goes against a USAWA tradition, thus why I want Bill to know about it. Anyone else has an opinion on this being a problem? Al

Chad Ullom
          Participant

I’m sure he’d prefer to reschedule. I may go depending on the date & I know you would!

DrDave
            Participant

Thanks Al, for helping me overcome my computer literacy issues! I’ll be there to at least help when I’m not out of town at a conference, and will lift on record day at Clark’s. That PRP injection in the shoulder has added length to my bench career! Trying to gradually branch out to other lifts too. As a Clark’s Gym guy- definitely- I think Bill would want to know of the conflict and try to sort it out.

KCSTRONGMAN
              Keymaster

Keep us updated Al. I would like to make 1 or 2 of these this time around. It has been a while.
                ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Tom Ryan
                Participant

You don’t know what you’ve missed by not having competed in a Zercher Meet, Al. I competed in 6 of them, including 5 in a row. It would have been 7 in a row but Bill advised me not to make a plane reservation one year because it looked like the meet would be canceled due to lack of entries. (It wasn’t.)

After you have been “zerchered”, you body is pretty much useless as far as training is concerned for a week or so. Bill has always considered the Zercher Meet to be the most physically demanding meet in the country. I would not disagree. 🙂

Al Myers
                  Keymaster

Tom, I am not doubting you on that!! I have been to the Heavy Lift Championships a few times, and that is demanding enough! The Zercher Meet contains pretty much ALL the Heavy Lifts PLUS other fun lifts like the Zercher and Steinborn Lifts. The only event Bill has every put on that is more physically exhausting than the Zercher Meet is the Weightlifters Weekend he promoted in the mid 80’s. Al PS I’ll make it to the Zercher one these years!!

Thom Van Vleck
                    Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on September 13, 2010, 08:57[/b]
                      The Zercher Meet contains pretty much ALL the Heavy Lifts PLUS other fun lifts like the Zercher and Steinborn Lifts.

To be in the USAWA you’ve got to be a little bit of a masochist….because only a masochist would think Zerchers and Steinborn’s are “FUN LIFTS” hahahaha

Of course, I’m one of them…..

Thom Van Vleck
                      Jackson Weightlifting Club
                      Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.