Goerner Club – 3rd Time's a Charm

Home Forums General Discussion Goerner Club – 3rd Time's a Charm

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Ben Edwards
      Participant

I first joined the Goerner Club in 2011 when I pulled 310lbs on the Middle Fingers Deadlift at the Grip Champs. Made the Goerner Club a second time in 2016 when I pulled 315lbs. And I plan on making the club a third time in two weeks. Or at least that’s the goal!

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

dwagman
        Participant

Ben, thanks for depressing me.

You probably don’t know this, but I’ve really gotten into finger lifts, at least for the MF and index fingers. Two years ago I pulled 335 in training in the DL-MF to exceed the USAWA and IAWA Open Record at 85 kg only to have the weight pop out of my fingers upon lockout. Just ONE SECOND longer….

It was a pretty severe injury to the common tendon of my fingers but I did recover and about a year later was able to pull 315. At the same time I’ve been training the MF lift with an 8mm leather ring on a vertical bar, doing pullups with added weight, and deadlifts with those rings. Just after X-mas I pulled 275 with my right and 265 with my left. But that has left my MF utterly smoked. To be honest, if I end up going to the Grip Champs I just might have to do a token DL-MF and that has depressed me greatly because I really love that lift and have made tremendous gains on it. And now you have to add salt to the wound…. Thanks Ben!

I wish there was a way to insert a photo on this forum, I think you’d enjoy seeing that 275-pound MF pull on a v-bar.

Best in training Ben. If I end up going, I’ll be your towel boy.

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
          are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
          compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

Ben Edwards
          Participant

Wow, Dan! I knew you were strong on the MF (and pretty much everything) lifts, those are some big numbers – especially considering your bodyweight.

I am pretty disappointed after tearing my right middle finger skin pretty severely a few days ago. I pulled 380 to my knees and then a sudden tiny shift of the bar obliterated my skin. Dropped the bar and that was the end of my Goerner Club ambition. I KNEW that I should’ve just saved it all up for the contest. So it serves me right to have to suck it up and try to heal up enough to pull 135lbs and not bleed all over the place.

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Al Myers
            Keymaster

That’s not good news Ben! I hope your finger gets healed up.

Al Myers
              Keymaster

That’s not good news Ben! I hope your finger gets healed up.

dwagman
                Participant

Oh, c’mon Ben!!! Are we trying to have a competition about who’s gonna be more pathetic in the DL-MF at the Grip Champs?

Man, I’m horrified to hear your story. Your strength seemed to have increased insanely, too.

Ben, I’ve had success with this method in having my torn skin heal quicker:

– For two days use antibiotic on the affected area with a band aid all day; reapply if necessary.
                  – At night take the band aid off and no antibiotic.
                  – On the third day apply liquid band aid to the area liberally and do so until healed.
                  – The final step is that you need to give your skin the stimulus to adapt instead of just heal. That means you need to start training that finger again as soon as the pain becomes bearable, but not training to gain strength, training for the skin, meaning go light, low volume, low density, little impulse, etc.

Of course if it’s one of those “to-the-bone” deals it can take a week or more to heal.

So do you still plan on going? I completed my 95% 1-RM on Mon. and Tues. for Grip Champs and RD, respectively. Got 90% to do next wk. and would be physically ready but just am not sure if I feel like competing.

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Timo Lauttamus
                  Participant

Guys, your training approach seems very tough. Maybe I’m freak of nature.. ..but training my fingers very lightly last weeks before the meet. Being one with bar on the venue is the key.

dwagman
                    Participant

TIMO, you are indeed a freak. 🙂

The main thing with finger lifts and grip-specific exercises is to recognize that the vast majority of those exercises are based on isometric contractions. Research into such contractions shows us that it requires a different sort of training approach than dynamic exercises.

I only go by what research has determined and that’s the main reason I’ve been able to make the sorta gains I have in grip; I would consider myself anything but a grip monster, though.

Dan

Timo Lauttamus
                      Participant

I meant being one with the bar as confidence. I know I’m having it when stepping to the platform without lifting 95% week before or testing new PB in training. My experience of DL-MF is very long recovering after lifting 90% weights. I could lift it like three weeks before the meet and then continuing with 60-80% weights. Just to make sure I’ll be fresh on the day of meet and having skin on my fingers also 60-80% should be enough to keep the touch.
                        And yes 🙂 hopefully I’m clever as I let you know Dan.. ..I wish to open new DL-MF club in the future 😀

dwagman
                        Participant

Timo, it’s like you said, you’re a freak. Your genetic potential for grip/finger and chins is undeniable. But here’s something to think about: Research has determined that only around 30% to 35% of an athlete’s performance can be predicted by genetics. It’s almost frightening to think what you could really do.

Well, I’m on my way to Al’s Grip Champs and Record Day. I decided to turn this in to a Grip Fest as besides the 4 grip lifts on Saturday, I’m going to do 4 more on Record Day. We’ll see at what point I may start losing it. I’ll e-mail you a report next week.

Till then…

Dan

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.