Gold Cup

Home Forums General Discussion Gold Cup

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Timo Lauttamus 2 days, 5 hours ago.

• Author

Timo Lauttamus
    Participant

Hi to all!

Al already mentioned about Gold Cup in his post and it was truly special this year. We were witnessing many lifters over lifting themselves and personally I had feeling we all wanted to do it for our Big George.

My work to Gold Cup started last year in Abilene after marginally failed with 420lbs hack lift, middle fingers. I remember how guys and gals were asking how’s my fingers? then George pulled me for side after seeing how disappointed I was and George just told me ” Next time” I answered to George “Next time I’ll lift in your Gold Cup and I’ll do middle fingers but front of the body and it will be bigger than 420lbs” as we know what happened in July.. ..I made early bookings in early August and started final preparation to lift in George’s memorial meet and do the lift I promised year before.

I made seven minutes lasting video about my trip and day after Gold Cup we’re on the good mood in the Stoneland it was great trip up to North.

Ben Edwards
    Participant

CONGRATS, Timo!!!!! I can not say enough times how impressed I am with your middle fingers deadlift. That is truly out of this world!

Question for you on your one hand axle deadlift. Did you use a hook grip or was it non-hooked? I posted about your 253lb lift on the Gripboard and someone mentioned that the IAWA allows the hook grip on the one hand axle lift. If you did not hook grip it, you beat the national grip sport record set by Andrew Durniat (same weight class as you) back in 2012 or 2013.

KCSTRONGMAN
    Participant

GReat work Timo! Looks like a fine affair.
    ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Timo Lauttamus
    Participant

Thanks Ben!

Seasoned Eleiko barbell was good but knurling was not perfectly aggressive as I always wish. In those conditions I over lifted myself with 446lbs DL-MF, mind over the body.

Answer for your question: Most of IAWA axles are home made and barely ever full two inches (50,8mm) I can’t hook full two inches axle but standard size pipe (48,3mm/1,9″) as material of IAWA axles creates minor possibility for hooking. My 253lbs with fried fingers was slightly hooked as rules allows and personally I think I would have 220lbs unhooked in my tank considering I’ve recently done solid 228lbs off hand lift using my spinny 50,8mm home made crusher handle.

Timo Lauttamus
    Participant

Thanks Eric!

You were there in Abilene and possibly you remember most epic of my fails.

KCSTRONGMAN
    Participant

I pretty much just remember some awesome lifting…

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Timo Lauttamus
    Participant

Yes Eric it was great meet and hopefully I’ll be able to come over next time or one of those years. Kansas is just great state and wish to visit there again.

Al Myers
    Keymaster

Timo, It was great seeing you again in Scotland. And you continue to amaze me! Your middle finger dl was unbelievable – and one I’m glad to see firsthand. I was honored to be able to officiate it. I want to mention this to everyone – after you finised your lockout and I gave you the down command you continued to hold the bar for another 2-3 seconds!!! AMAZING!!

Timo Lauttamus
    Participant

Thanks Al!

It was great to meet you and senior again. Thanks once again for being my front referee! I’ve been re-checking video and I actually held it only for 1,00-1,20 seconds after down command LOL but most important I held it :) As you told me it was right place to do the lift.. ..and you’re so right there is no better place to open ‘200k club’ than George’s Gold Cup.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.