Grip problems

Home Forums General Discussion Grip problems

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Per Hegberg
      Participant

Hi all,
        I´m Swedish beginner lifter especially when it comes to some of the lifts from the USAWA´s book. One of lifts I´ve started doing the one hand deadlift. I feel it´s a very goo all round exercise.The problem is my grip. I have very small hands and short fingers so grip strength has always been one of my weak points. When the weight gets heavy I have a tendency to easily let go of my grip and try to lift mostly with my fingers. The same happens when I do heavy singles in the deadlift. Using the hook grip is hard for me to lock the thumb due to my small hands and short fingers. Or perhaps I should back down and lower the weight where I can hold barbell with my whole hand and lift with good form? Any advice would be mostly appreciated.
        Kind regards,
        Per Hedberg

Al Myers
        Keymaster

Per,
          When it comes to the one arm deadlift it is all about the hook grip. Don’t give up on the hook grip. Even if you can barely cover the thumb with the index finger keep working it and it will get stronger. It took me 5 years to build my hook grip. Lot of the improvement comes with the thumb becoming less sensitive over time. Doing time holds with the hook grip helps.
          Al

Per Hegberg
          Participant

Many thanks Al for your advice! I must confess I just recently tried the hook grip and I will give it time to develop.
            All the best,
            Per

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.