Home Forums General Discussion Inch Dumbbell

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Inch Dumbbell

Chad Ullom
        Participant

In 2008 I went to the UFC fan expo. Brian Shaw, Ault Hagen (sp?) and Nick Best were there with an inch dumbell. They had a block and the challenge was to lift it up onto the block. Of the 3, Ault was the only 1 that did it while I was there, though I’m sure all of them could. I know I can’t budge the thing!

Travis Willingham
          Participant

I tried after the Arnold last year at a grip get together and there were a couple awesome lifts by Steve Gardner who was in from England and I think Jedd Johnson as well as Chad Woodall.

Steve Angell
            Participant

I have a baby Inch 53kgs that i got from Roger davis. I clean & Pressed it first go. No one else in my gym has been able to pick this one off the floor, so it’s no surprise not many have lifted the full Inch. I Have never tried the real Inch, but would love to get one if anyone knows a place in England i could get one.

I am so impressed with the Hand Strength of Andrew Durniat and am so glad he is drug free and posting his lifts with the IAWA (USAWA)

I have also started to put some of best ever IAWA lifts onto Youtube Including my 255kg Zercher that was my best ever lift.

Al Myers
              Keymaster

Steve, I’m glad you are putting your best lifts on YouTube. I have watched all of them and they are VERY IMPRESSIVE! It is one thing to look at a record in the record list and be impressed, but it is another thing to watch these record lifts on video. Your lifts are very well executed. I couldn’t believe your big Zerchers. You seem to have the perfect body type for this lift. I noticed when you did the Continental to Belt Zercher style you hardly had to lower the bar from the arms to the belt. I have tried it that way and have major problems getting the bar out of my arms and onto the belt. Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried the Continental to Belt traditional style?? And if you did, how did your lifts compare?? I know you haven’t done many Zerchers since your bicep repair. That is my biggest problem with the Zercher now (the pain caused by the bar resting on the attachment pins in my arms) since I have had both of my biceps surgically repaired. Did you have this same issue? Al

Steve Angell
                Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on June 4, 2011, 11:22[/b]
                  Steve, I’m glad you are putting your best lifts on YouTube. I have watched all of them and they are VERY IMPRESSIVE! It is one thing to look at a record in the record list and be impressed, but it is another thing to watch these record lifts on video. Your lifts are very well executed. I couldn’t believe your big Zerchers. You seem to have the perfect body type for this lift. I noticed when you did the Continental to Belt Zercher style you hardly had to lower the bar from the arms to the belt. I have tried it that way and have major problems getting the bar out of my arms and onto the belt. Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried the Continental to Belt traditional style?? And if you did, how did your lifts compare?? I know you haven’t done many Zerchers since your bicep repair. That is my biggest problem with the Zercher now (the pain caused by the bar resting on the attachment pins in my arms) since I have had both of my biceps surgically repaired. Did you have this same issue? Al

Al,
                  Because i was good at Zercher i always did cont to belt with a zercher. The only time i pulled to the belt was on the cont clean, and i did 182.5kgs on that lift.

Your right about the pain thing mate, and it is because of the pain i used to go through and the Bruising it left for weeks after the lift, that after the surgery i made the decision never to perform the lift again.

I have loved looking through some of my old lifts again, and am so happy you have liked them.
                  Steve

jarrod
                  Participant

i hate to show my newbie-ness here, but what exactly is an inch dumbbell?

jf

Al Myers
                    Keymaster

Thanks Jarrod – now I have another topic for a Daily News story!!!!

The Inch Dumbbell was a challenge dumbbell by the oldtime strongman Thomas Inch. Only he could lift it at the time with one hand. It has a handle of 2.5″ diameter and weighs 172 pounds. Ironmind sold a replica of it for several years, but now it has been discontinued. Al

jarrod
                      Participant

thanks al, always happy to help.

61pwcc
                        Participant

I always thought it had an odd diameter of 2 3/8″?

Al Myers
                          Keymaster

The exact measurement is 2.47″ (on my replica). I just call it 2.5″, because that is closer than 2 3/8″. Al

61pwcc
                            Participant

I looked it up and the original dumbbell is 2.38″ so yours is harder than the original being .09″ larger in diameter

Joe Garcia
                              Participant

In David Willoughby’s “The Super Athletes”, he gives the dimensions as:
                                Weight – 172 lbs, Length – 20″, Diameter of Spheres – 8.5″, Circumference of handle – 7.75″ (which makes diameter 2.47″), Length of handle – 4″.

61pwcc
                                Participant

I stand corrected…TWICE….dammit

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.