Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Lance Foster
      Participant

John Vernacchio

The Gloved One

Al Myers
        Keymaster

I just saw that as well. That is terrible news. John was one of the original founding members of the USAWA, and had a huge influence in the formation of the organization. He will be missed.

Denny Habecker
          Participant

John’s friend Dee called us this morning and told us about John. It was John who got me and many others involved with All-Round Weightlifting. John was a great guy and a good friend. I will always remember the good times I had traveling with John and training at his gym.

Al Myers
            Keymaster

I would like anyone who has any stories and/or pictures of John to please send them to me. I would like to have several stories on the website this coming week as tributes to John. Thanks. Al

Steve Angell
              Participant

RIP John. I owe you so much. One of the saddest days of my life. Loved him like a father!!!

Tom Ryan
                Participant

I am very sad to read this. Yes, John was 75 and would have been 76 near the end of the year. Technically, he didn’t live in Philly but lived outside Philly. John was indeed a USAWA pioneer and was very active in staging competitions, including competitions in the building that housed his carpet business! I knew him well, especially from the 1989-90 academic year that I spent in the Philly area and trained a few times in John’s gym.

John told me after one of those training sessions that his father suffered a lot during the final years of his life. Since John had a stroke a few years ago, as Denny informed us some time ago, his final years obviously weren’t great, either, so at least he is now free of earthly pain and troubles. RIP, John, you were a very giving person in many ways, including once treating my mother and I to dinner at that famous all-you-can-eat place that I believe was/is in Collegeville. You contributed a lot to the USAWA and you will be greatly missed.

Steve Angell
                  Participant

Been thinking about John a lot today (Feels the same as when my father passed away) I am full of sadness AND guilt as i lost contact with John in resent years. Just wanted to re-share the post i put up a couple of months ago regarding John. Looking back John was there to shout for me during all of my best ever lifts and i will always be grateful for the help & support he gave me.

I have looked at the results of resent IAWA world championships with a little envy, as i would love for my body to have given me one chance to put it on the line against Al, Chad & Mark Haydock. That would have been a battle royal! But do you know what? Being around in the 90’s and sharing a platform with and being inspired by John, Howard & co were amongst the best days of my life. I would not change that for anything.

Al asked for stories about John. I have an encyclopaedia full of them, but this will make you all smile. John was telling me about when he was a school teacher and one of his pupils who was a good football player was getting a hard time from the school bully. John kept him back after class. Had a John V type chat with him (I loved those no BS chats we had). Then looked him in the eye and said “Now go kick his fucking ass” which the kid duly obliged. The world should have more teachers like JV!!!!

Quote from home page.
                    Tireless John Vernacchio directed and lifted and led his Valley Forge team to first place in a one-man demonstration of dynamic energy July 9-10 in Plymouth Meeting, PA. as the new United States All-Round Weightlifting Association staged its first-ever National All-Round Championships.

Vernacchio thus completed his second in a three-sport round of national lifting championships. In 1987, he was the meet director (and organizer and lifter) for the National Masters Weightlifting Championships. In 1989, he’ll do the same for the National Masters Powerlifting meet for the USPF.

I just wanted to elaborate a little on John as some of you guy’s may never have had the pleasure of meeting him.

John Vernaccio is a LEGEND pure and simple. Not only was he a National Masters Champion in Olympic lifting, All-Round lifting and Powerlifting; He was also World Champion in all three sports Winning the Masters World Olympic lifting Championships on Oxford (England) in 1992?.

I had the absolute pleasure of staying with, training with and competing with John on many occasions, and i will openly say, i love John Like another Father, and i owe him so much for all the help and support he gave me during the 90’s.

Just some of the competitions i lifted in with (Against) John that he promoted include

England V America 3 match tour 1994

England v America v Scotland 2 match tour 1996

1996 Gold Cup

1997 World Championships

I also stayed with John and travelled across to Ohio for the 1994 Gold Cup and 1995 World Champs

I also Competed in the WNPF World Powerlifting Championship with John in 1995. He won the Masters title and i won the Deadlift title.

Unfortunately, i have not been in contact with John for a while, and the last i heard he was having some health issues.

I just wanted to take the opportunity on this forum to let the World know how John played an integral part of my success as a strength Athlete, and i put him along side Howard Pretchtel in my list of heroes and strength legends.

Al Myers
                    Keymaster

I first met John at the 2003 National Championships in Youngstown, Ohio. I have to admit that at first I was taken back by John’s imposing physical presence – heavily muscled physique, commanding voice, strong facial features, and slicked back dark hair. I had previously “heard about him” and his involvement in the USAWA, and I would have to say, was a little intimidated by him at first impression! We didn’t talk much during the meet.

However, the day following the meet as I was hitting the hotel’s continental breakfast, John was there already eating and invited me to join him at his table. I couldn’t believe how nice he was to me. He commended me on my lifting performance, and offered several words of encouragement to me in pursuing all round weightlifting. I was a little taken back – as I was just “newbe” to the USAWA, yet this legend of the sport was taking interest in me and thanking me for making it to the meet? It made an impression on me as I left that morning.

That’s how John was to all new lifters. He is responsible for getting more lifters involved in the USAWA than probably anyone else throughout the years. He also was a man who put “the organization” above his own personal lifting goals, and because of this, has left a legacy in the minds of many. Al

Denny Habecker
                      Participant

I talked John’s brother Sal yesterday and he told me the services for John will be on Thursday. He didn’t have any other details yet. He will let me know on Wednesday.

Thom Van Vleck
                        Participant

I never met John but felt like I knew him and he was “my kind of guy”. Sorry for those who really did know him for their loss. Glad to see the guy get the respect he obviously deserves!

Thom Van Vleck
                          Jackson Weightlifting Club
                          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

KCSTRONGMAN
                          Keymaster

I never met John either, but he obviously made a huge difference to all-round as well as people’s lives
                            ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Steve Angell
                            Participant

Another great article about John Al! If i remember right John also ran the 1996 Gold Cup. I remember lifting in it and then we had a two match competition America v England v Scotland with America winning 1 and England winning 1.

Denny Habecker
                              Participant

John also ran the 1987 National Masters, the 1991 Pan American Masters Championships, plus I can’t remember how many Eastern Masters Powerlifting and Weightlifting Championships and numerous other Olympic Lift and 3 lift Allround contests. The majority of the awards I have came from meets that John Vernacchio ran or ones I lifted in with him.

Al Myers
                                Keymaster

Thanks Steve and Denny for this added information about John. I have added it to the story. Also, I see that he promoted THREE Gold Cups – 1992, 1996, & 2003. He was one active meet promoter!!!!

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.