Home Forums General Discussion Ken McClain

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Ken McClain

Scott Tully
        Participant

Ken is a a gret guy, I tool my olympic ifting officials test from him and then got my feet wet by getting to judge with him my first time out. Ken loves the sport of weightlifting.

ST

Thom Van Vleck
          Participant

My Uncle Wayne lifted with Ken at times. Wayne thinks Ken started in 1963. Wayne recalls in 66 or 67 seeing Ken Clean & Jerk 400, press 300, and snatch 285 or 290 weighing around 236lbs. Wayne recalls his Clean and Jerk being real smooth and his press being pretty legit (not a lot of lean back), Wayne said his snatch was his weak lift (but said, “It was mine, too”. haha). Wayne said Ken was “A pretty nice fella….I liked him better than his older brother”. Wayne said there as Gary and Tim McClain and they were all pretty good lifters.

Thom Van Vleck
            Jackson Weightlifting Club
            Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Tom Ryan
            Participant

I was very impressed with the lifts that Ken made as a Master’s lifter during the 1980s. I think he is two years older than me and we would have been in the same class if he had competed in the 1986 National Master’s in Olympic lifting.
              Fortunately for me he didn’t show up for that meet. I recall that he was snatching around 270 and C&Jing 350 or so during those years, which was very impressive for a Master’s lifter.

He was also good at other lifts, as has been noted. I watched a film of him pressing a pair of 120s with some to spare in a contest. That motivated someone, probably Clay Oliver, to say to Ken “They make them heavier”.

I think he should be 67 now and I haven’t seen his name in contest reports in many, many years. I hope he is doing well.

Tom

Anonymous

I have lots of stores of Ken McClain, he’s almost 71 yrs, I turned
                71 last Jan. 1st.
                JCM

Tom Ryan
                Participant

Hello, Joe. I hope you are doing well. I spoke with Wilbur Miller recently and he mentioned that he had heard from you not long ago and he was planning to lift in a meet, a deadlift meet I believe he said, that you will be putting on in the near future.

Regards,

Tom

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.