Ledaig Record Day

Home Forums General Discussion Ledaig Record Day

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Ledaig Record Day

Participant

al, you are very persuasive! lol. how could i resist doing the two things i enjoy most, throwing and lifting on the weekend of my birthday!! i just hope i can fall out of bed on monday!!

Ben Edwards
          Participant

I’m really trying to talk my wife into “letting” me go to the Record Day contest Dave. Sounds like a lot of fun. It’ll be great to see you again and get to see your training hall too. Oh yeah, breaking some records would be good too, lol. I joke about her letting me go but she always supports my contest endeavors. Work on the other hand has been very busy and sometimes I don’t know when I’ll be called in for overtime so that puts a crimp in my contest plans.

Do you have 1″ or 2″ vbars (just one of each) at your training hall Dave? If I’m able to make it, those are usually my bread and butter. Will probably do some Inch (loadable) attempts too if you don’t mind me bringing my Inch trainer that Al gave me last year. If I was in the 209lb weight class I’d give the 2″ Axle double overhand record a shot. But since I’m an undisciplined slob I’m still in the 220lb class for now.

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Participant

well, my, ahhh, “training hall” is very rudamentary, at best. the only thing i have in the grip arena is the ‘rolling thunder’ and some CoC’s. i also have a fulton bar. now that i think about it, the weekend just started and i am no stranger to a torch and welder!! lol

i would be honored to have you come to LEDAIG and bring whatever implements you can haul! thank you!!!

Ben Edwards
              Participant

Still sounds cool to me Dave. I only have a garage full of equipment to call my training hall. Sounds like you have much more than that and a Highland Games area too. I’m getting off a 12-hour shift and have spent half of it thinking about your Highland Games meet on the 17th and of course the Record Day on the 18th. What are the entry fees for both days? I’ve put together a little package of materials (like the distance from here to your place – 3.5 hours) that I’m going to show my wife when I get home. Her brother lives in Wichita so I might be able to bring her with me and have her visit her brother and sister-in-law while I have fun and enter my first Highland Games meet. I can’t think of another meet where it will be so relaxed for me. And by that I mean I will know a few guys there and I know you are very laidback so I won’t mind showing how weak I am and how slow. And I’m not being false modest. What overshadows my aversion to embarrassing myself is the lure of the Highland Games events themselves.

Do you have an entry form for the Highland Games event?

Ben Edwards
                Participant

Man, I’m sorry for all the questions but I’ve got a few more. Are there any hotels in Rainbow Bend? Every time I Google search it I get an ad that is really testing the computer’s anti-popup security feature. If there’s a cheapie hotel nearby I may just stay there overnight and hit both days if work and wife are game for that.

Participant

well,lol, rainbow bend is a farming community. the closest hotel would be in winfield or arkansas city, about 10 miles from my place. i live in winfield and the farm is south west of there. it has been in the family since 1869.

my bday is the 14th. this coming weekend is my gift to my friends. highland games on saturday and USAWA on sunday. no entry fees, no t-shirts, no headaches and no stress. this would be THE perfect place to start your HG career!!

Chad Ullom
                    Participant

Dave,
                      What time are we starting again on Sat? I was thinking your email said 2pm, but wanted to double check.
                      thanks!

Participant

1400 is correct. with no more than will be there(looks like 15 or there abouts so far), we should be done by 1830 or so, and then it is time to PUT ON THE FEED BAG!! remember, this is my bday bash and the bday boy has everything covered. i’m stoked that you are coming!!

Thom Van Vleck
                        Participant

I had to laugh at the “Motels in Rainbow Bend” comment. HAHAHAHAHA Look it up on google maps some time…..It’s smaller than Sublette, MO which is the nearest town to me and Sublette has 17 people!

Sounds like this is shaping up nicely.

Thom Van Vleck
                          Jackson Weightlifting Club
                          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Ben Edwards
                          Participant

Good news guys, I’ll be at the Highland Games event on Saturday! Looking forward to it even though I don’t have the first clue what I’m doing. I guess I can only get better at the events, eh? 🙂

Sent you an e-mail Dave, and I’d like to come a bit early to get my hands on the implements before the contest if that’s alright.

See you guys there!

Scott Tully
                            Participant

Dave Im trying to work it out to be there on sunday for the record day. I hope it works out.

ST

Travis Willingham
                              Participant

Have fun this weekend Dave. Wish I could be there, we’re heading for Illinois in the morning.

Participant

BEN……… i will send you instructions. you are welcome to come any time. don’t come too early!! i may put you to work!!

SCOTT…that would be primo!! hope you can make it!!

TRAVIS…..the bits are calling!! can you hear them?? lol

Ben Edwards
                                  Participant

Dave, actually putting me to work makes a lot of sense because I don’t have any goals for the contest besides learning. The other guys probably have goals on everything so if I help set up things it would take some of the load off of them and that’s fine by me!

Thom Van Vleck
                                    Participant

This sounds like it will be a blast.

…..and another thing, it kinda galls me that Ben brags about how young he is on his tag line. Oh, to be a kid again at 35. just kidding, ben

Thom Van Vleck

Ben Edwards
                                      Participant

[b]Quote from JWCIII on July 16, 2010, 10:11[/b]
                                        This sounds like it will be a blast.

…..and another thing, it kinda galls me that Ben brags about how young he is on his tag line. Oh, to be a kid again at 35. just kidding, ben

Haha, I didn’t realize that was showing up all the time actually. Haven’t paid a lot of attention to it since I thought it was just showing up on my browser and not everyone else’s.

Participant

ben……….you will not be the only first time thrower!! the positive thing about this is there are several folks there that can help you as the day progresses.

Al Myers
                                          Keymaster

I’m getting my stuff around right now to head to Dave’s for a weekend of fun! The good times…. Al

Participant

hot weather but good lifts at the ledaig heavy athletics record breakers. those in attendance:

scoot tully
                                              darren barnhart
                                              al meyers
                                              chad ullom
                                              mike murdock
                                              amber glasgow (usawa newest member)
                                              dave glasgow

thank you very much for coming, my friends. i am honored!!

Al Myers
                                              Keymaster

Dave – Thanks for the great time! Everyone present REALLY enjoyed your first USAWA promotion. I’ll try to get the meet results up today. Al

Thom Van Vleck
                                                Participant

“Scoot” Tully! HAHAHA There’s only ONE “Scoot” and that’s Scoot Campbell.

Thom Van Vleck

Scott Tully
                                                  Participant

Dave,

Had a great time, Look forward to coming out there again!!!

ST

Thom Van Vleck
                                                    Participant

Hey, Tully, did those guys ever tell you that they really had their phones on and were letting you and Darrin drive around in circles while they laughed about it! HAHA

Thom Van Vleck

Scott Tully
                                                      Participant

haha, we kinda figured that. Who would have thought that Big T would save the day, lol.

ST

Al Myers
                                                        Keymaster

The truth was that we were all still asleep from staying up too late telling stories and enjoying Dave’s premium beverages the night before!! Al

Thom Van Vleck
                                                          Participant

Big T saves the day all the time, twice on Sundays.

Thom Van Vleck

Participant

hahahahahaha……… i got a kick out of two people who came to the games googling rainbow bend for motels and scotty and darren stopping in oxford (pop. 2300) to ask where ‘rainbow bend’was!!

my friends, this past weekend has showed me, one more time, that people who dedicate themselves to a voice that only they, themselves, can hear, are the best people in the world.

i can hardly wait for next year!!!

Chad Ullom
                                                              Participant

I have 1 word…..Buffalo Sweat! ;)hahaha.

Thom,
                                                                Why didn’t you respond to my text Sun?

Thom Van Vleck
                                                                Participant

I thought I did respond! But i checked and I must of not his “send”…..stupid phone, can’t be operator error. Rainbow Bend is like my “home town” of Half Rock. Not much of a town anymore but home to so many!

Dave, I’m glad this went so well. You had a great turn out and I plan on being there next year! Thom

Thom Van Vleck

Travis Willingham
                                                                  Participant

[b]Quote from JWCIII on July 19, 2010, 23:29[/b]
                                                                    I thought I did respond! But i checked and I must of not his “send”…..stupid phone, can’t be operator error. Rainbow Bend is like my “home town” of Half Rock. Not much of a town anymore but home to so many!

Dave, I’m glad this went so well. You had a great turn out and I plan on being there next year! Thom

HALF ROCK!

I actually know where that is. Had an Uncle who was born there.

Thom Van Vleck
                                                                    Participant

Travis, who was your Uncle….half the cemetary in half rock has my relatives going back 5 generations. My grandparents were married that the Church there and I’ve attended about 40 funerals and weddings there over the years.

Thom Van Vleck

Travis Willingham
                                                                      Participant

Richard Hazen Black

He died 6 years ago this summer and I can’t exactly remember where the cemetery was. It’s east of Hwy 65 and I remember being on Hwys E and C and another I think. I always have someone else give me directions to get there.

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.