Lurich Lift

Home Forums General Discussion Lurich Lift

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

I very much enjoyed ET’s article on Georg Lurich and the new proposed Lurich Lift. I had heard of Lurich but didn’t really know much about him (outside of him being Hack’s mentor). Thanks ET for this quality story for the website. We need more good blogs like this on our website!

KCSTRONGMAN
        Keymaster

Thanks Al. Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Al Myers
          Keymaster

ET, I really appreciate the way you have taken the USAWA Old Time Strongman Championships and made it into a GREAT annual event. Every year it is one of the top attended Championship events in the USAWA. Thanks again, Al

KCSTRONGMAN
            Keymaster

Thanks Al. Hopefully we get a good turn out again this year.

dwagman
              Participant

ET, thanks for that article. That’s a really nice picture, too. Do you know anything about Lurich’s height and weight?

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
                are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
                compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

KCSTRONGMAN
                Keymaster

That is a good question. I read it, but cannot remember right off. He was not huge.

KCSTRONGMAN
                  Keymaster

Looks like 5’9.5″ and 200 pounds. That is what I was able to find anyhow.

dwagman
                    Participant

No, not huge, but certainly capable.

I know you’ll probably do this, but I’d be real interested in reading about the Lurich Lift after you guys give it a ride. Something tells me it’ll be a ball-buster…which ain’t a bad thing.

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

KCSTRONGMAN
                      Keymaster

Capable indeed. Dan, I tried the lift out on Sat, and it will take some figuring out. I have the same issue here that I do on the normal HAck. Hamstrings get in the way. Only difference, is on this lift they start in the way.
                        ET

Lance Foster
                        Participant

The Lurich lift is on the list for today’s work out.

The Gloved One

dwagman
                          Participant

Yeah, I figured as much, ET. I simply can’t get the barbell over my hamstrings…unless I rotate my hips. Thing is, that’s a very dangerous proposition, especially under load; my lifting longevity is infinitely more important to me than a single lift. So I gave that some thought for this year’s Grip Champs because of the contested Hack-Fulton bar.

For one, using a thick bar, I reasoned, would likely have less potential of getting hung up on my friggin’ HUGE hamstrings. And then I incorporated this: pull the bar up to behind my knees and while the bar is in contact with my bent knees, forcefully extend the knees thereby propelling the barbell backward and at the same time straighten out so that the barbell moves upward in an arc.

It took quite a bit of training to get the movement down pat, but I did real good and since my grip isn’t an issue, I was hoping to hit low 4’s on the Hack with the Fulton bar. Just one problem…

I was training in my BDU’s and unbeknownst to me, that created sufficient “slippage” for the barbell using shorts will not provide. As a consequence, and since I’m about as stupid as a bodybuilder, I never trained in shorts until I got to Grip Champs and found the barbell getting glued to my hams, losing my balance, and falling backwards on my ass- -right in front of the meet promoter and head judge- –twice! before getting one attempt in with low 3’s.

The moral of the story is that perhaps for the Lurich you can get yourself set up so that upon an initial pull you can thrust the barbell back and then up so that it will only make contact with your hams toward the end of the range of motion…and make sure you practice it in shorts!!

Dan

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.