Home Forums General Discussion Picture of Jim Malloy

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Picture of Jim Malloy

Tom Ryan
        Participant

That looks like Bill Clark seated behind Jim. Now about Jim’s form, Al. 🙂 Either he had an elbow touch when he performed that lift or else he came as close to having one as possible without committing the violation. He caught the bar on straight wrists and his elbows are too low, perhaps caused by the bar being too far forward when he pulled it in. His wrist flexibility might also be lacking. I always did a wrist stretching movement before I did squat cleans, picking that up from an article on Tony Garcy in S&H circa 1963.

Al Myers
          Keymaster

Tom, first – I was referring to the man on the left that you can actually see his face, in the purple shirt. I do agree that is probably Bill seated to the right in the picture at the head table, and I am quite impressed that you could recognize him by just seeing his legs!! lol

As for Jim’s picture being a “perfect picture” – I was referring to it being a good picture of him visually (despite it being blurry and out of focus!) Your assessment of good clean technique is correct, but compared to MY clean technique Jim looks like a seasoned Olympian in that picture. haha

Thanks Tom for responding to this – I LIKE people to call me out every now and then!! haha Al

Thom Van Vleck
            Participant

…..does that apply to me as well, Al?!?!?

Thom Van Vleck
              Jackson Weightlifting Club
              Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Tom Ryan
              Participant

Okay, Al, I at first thought you must be referring to the person on the left, but you did say “behind”. Of course Bill isn’t directly behind Jim, either, but he is closer to being literally behind Jim than the person on the left. The caption for Jim’s picture stated that the picture showed the correct way to catch a clean. That is what motivated my comments. You know my reputation for catching mistakes and ambiguities, Al. Anyone in the world who makes a mistake could hear from me. LOL (I have also jumped on Bill Clark a time of two. He didn’t seem to enjoy it, though. LOL)

As for Bill’s legs, I would know them anywhere. LOL I first saw them when he weighed in at the Zercher Meet in 1987. I was somewhat astounded because his legs looked like they were carved out of stone and appeared to not have an ounce of fat on them. I had never seen anyone with legs like that!

I’m not sure who the person on the left is. He looks somewhat like John Carter but I don’t think it is him. Or is it? I have been out of general USAWA circulation for so long that I am not well acquainted with the current cast of characters.

Al Myers
                Keymaster

Tom, I think it is John Carter. We need Joe here for confirmation of this. Joe??? Your comments concerning “good technique” made me think. Is saying someone has “good technique” really just a relative comment? Compared to what? I think this depends on the individuals perspective on the issue. I have never considered myself a technician in the Highland Games or in Weightlifting. Sure I worked on technique quite a bit – but I knew if I just got generally stronger it would pay off just as much. Some events that better suited my mechanics I had better technique in than those who didn’t. I always seemed to say someone had “good technique” if they demonstrated better technique in an event than myself.

I am assuming Jim did that lift at the 97 Nationals (but not certain). Jim was at that meet, John C was there, and a clean was done. Jim was entered in the 55 age group. Look how deep he catches the clean? That sure demonstrates pretty good flexibility for a lifter over 55. I’m 10 years younger than that and I can’t catch a clean that deep. Look how he keeps his back pretty straight and not “rolled over”. That’s pretty good technique. Anytime a clean gets heavy for me I always have a hard time keeping upright. Sure, Jim may not have the technique expected of an Olympic Medalist, but compared to my abilities he has “good technique”. I am sure the coaches of the Olympians still find faults in their technique and would say their technique is not perfect. Al

Thom Van Vleck
                  Participant

I agree with Tom in principle, and Al in application (how’s that for a political answer….you can tell I ran for office at one time!).

For example, I have developed a way to throw the Weight Over Bar in Highland Games that is unorthodox at best. I won the WOB at the North American Championships (masters class) this past weekend and one of the guys commented in a write up about it later “….I don’t know how he does that”! It works for me, but most guys can’t seem to pick it up. I think technique needs to be a guide, but eventually you need to mold it to your leverages to achieve the greatest success.

Thom Van Vleck
                    Jackson Weightlifting Club
                    Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
                    Keymaster

Thom, How many times have you seen some older thrower with perfect caber technique FAIL with a caber that some young, big strong kid muscles over? I have seen this way to often. I would take strength over technique any day. Does that make me a dumb muscle-head? haha Al

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.