Home Forums General Discussion Prowse and the Dinnie Stones

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Travis Willingham
      Participant

Prowse and the Dinnie Stones

Steve Angell
        Participant

Great article Thom, and one that is very close to my heart. I know of a number of people who when talking to the general public forget to mention the use of straps. Only recently whilst talking to my old weightlifting coach Chris Gladding (A fantastic all-round lifter by the way) He mentioned that a guy had been telling him how he had lifted the Dinnies and had put his name down in history. It was only upon seeing the picture that Chris realised he used straps.

After much resent debate on another forum, i contacted David Webster to find his take on what should be classed as a good lift. As it turns out, David is very keen to get this sorted and is now in the process of getting the views of some of the top stone lifters out there and set a standard for all to meet. And i am delighted that David is of the same view as myself that strap assisted lifts are cheating, and it looks like going forward strap assisted lifts will be removed from the Dinnie web site and will not be classed as a good lift for all future attempts.

Another thing David wants to implement is that all lifters only perform one lift, so as to stop the stones chipping and loosing weight.

This is all in its infancy at the moment, so i would appreciate it if it was kept on this forum only.

Travis Willingham
          Participant

Steve – have you ever seen the old footage when Kazmaier was “carrying” them across the bridge? I believe it was one of the Pure Strength competitions. It looked horrible, as if they were going to completely crumble. He’d thrust the large one and then drop it, repeatedly. I’ve wondered how fragile they were and wondered if putting them on the concrete hurt them more than being off to the side in gravel.

Recently on the Travel Chanel, the show Dhani Jones Tackles the Globe featured the Inver Stone and it dropped from shoulder height onto the road. I shuddered, thinking it may chip.

I’d love to hear what David Webster comes up with when the time comes. I assume it’s due to the trouble I started on another forum. I do agree though, the “real” lift is strapless.

Al Myers
            Keymaster

I once read the Dinnie Stones were “originally” reported to weigh 435/340. Then in 1998 Gordon Dinnie reweighed them and they weighed 413/321. Does anyone know if they have be weighed since then? I’m sure the “wear and tear” on them in recent years have taken a little off them. Al

Thom Van Vleck
              Participant

If you got to Google maps and got to the location of the Dinnie Stones and the Inver Stone and go to street level…..you can actually see them!

Here’s a story on how events can be exaggerated over time. When I was a boy, about 11, I was in an accident and broke both legs, both arms, my hip, severe concussion, eye injury, and numerous broken ribs. I spent 3.5 months in a hospital and as a result, we moved to the next county over to be near my grandparents as I rehabbed the next 5 years to a complete recovery. Over the years, being a very small county (about 3500 people), an event like that is not forgotten. I heard many stories that I had both legs amputated, I was blind, I was permenantly in a wheel chair…..but he one that topped them all: I was doing a strongman show and I share that as personal testimony. A guy came up, seriously pale and as if he’d seen a ghost, and he said, “I thought you were DEAD”. So, stories get told, things get exaggerated, that happens.

Thom Van Vleck
                Jackson Weightlifting Club
                Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Steve Angell
                Participant

Travis,

If memory serves me right, you can actually see a bit of one of the stones chip off when Kaz dumps it down and the end.

One thing i put forward to David was that, as you stated, know one really knows if Dinnie did actually walk with them, and add in the fact that everyone now trying to walk / Drag them are using straps. All walking attempts should be banned, or no straps be used.

At this moment in time David seems to be in favour of removing strap assisted lifts from the records, and successful lifts will comprise of a fully locked out lift with a 2 second hold; and a partial lift given to those who get them off the ground unassisted, but don’t lock them out. I personally am very much in favour of this.

Hopefully once David has finished all the Highland games and other competitions he is currently involved with, we can move this forward and get a set standard down.

Travis Willingham
                  Participant

Sounds good. Not sure about 2 seconds, that’s quite some time, maybe just a pause. More so for selfish reasons, HAHA. I never tried to hold them long but went back down upon lockout, not sure any of mine got a full 2 seconds. Next trip I will hold them for awhile.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.