Remembering Dale

Home Forums General Discussion Remembering Dale

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Denny Habecker 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Al Myers
    Keymaster

After doing Dale Friesz’s HOF bio yesterday, I did some time reflecting on my friendship with Dale before his death. When I first met him I didn’t know if I liked him or not, but as the years went by we developed quite the friendship. He was passionate about the USAWA and truly loved our sport. We corresponded pretty much every week and I miss those emails. His contributions helped shape the USAWA to what it is today. He inspired many of us with his persistence to continually compete regardless of what physical hardship he was dealing with. I have to say I’ve never met anyone like him!!!

Thom Van Vleck
    Participant

I have to admit I thought Dale was a little crazy to keep fighting through injuries and keep lifting. As I get older, I find that more and more admirable of him. Kind of reminds me of a famous actor that was working on several projects that had a degenerative disease. A reporter asked him, “Shouldn’t someone in your condition be resting more?” The guys shot back “Rest for what? I’m going to die from this. Resting won’t make me better”.

Thom Van Vleck
    Jackson Weightlifting Club
    All-Round nice guy

Thom Van Vleck
    Participant

I have to admit I thought Dale was a little crazy to keep fighting through injuries and keep lifting. As I get older, I find that more and more admirable of him. Kind of reminds me of a famous actor that was working on several projects that had a degenerative disease. A reporter asked him, “Shouldn’t someone in your condition be resting more?” The guys shot back “Rest for what? I’m going to die from this. Resting won’t make me better”. Maybe buy some time….I’d rather go down swinging.

Thom Van Vleck
    Jackson Weightlifting Club
    All-Round nice guy

Denny Habecker
    Participant

I didn’t like Dale that much when I first met him, but after I got to know him better he was a pretty interesting guy. He would always give me tips on how to do a lift better if he saw something that could help me.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.