Rolling Thunder Challenge

Home Forums General Discussion Rolling Thunder Challenge

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Al Myers 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Ben Edwards
    Participant

I was looking through the results of some past contests and saw that in July of 2016 at Ledaig, there was a Rolling Thunder Challenge after the contest. Just for bragging rights, I assume. But I think that looks pretty fun and wanted to see if Al was interested in doing it maybe after the Dino Challenge in January. I haven’t trained (or even had one) Rolling Thunder in a long, long time. So I’m not trying to set up a “pet lift” challenge.

Al Myers
    Keymaster

Ben, The Rolling Thunder has always been one of my favorite grip lifts to do (even though I’m not that good at it!). I’ve practiced it many times and never seem to improve, but some days the grip is there and I lift near my personal record max (which is out of the question for most other stuff). Heck, I’m going to the gym right now and I’m gonna load up the THUNDER!!!

Ben Edwards
    Participant

Hope you tore it up yesterday, Al! I think your 171 pound lifts on both hands AFTER a contest are pretty remarkable actually. Judging by that I’m guessing your best is around 190 pounds fresh. Which is solid. If you are ever interested in doing the IronMind Crushed to Dust challenge you’d be close to being able to do it right now I think. It is closing a #2 with the credit card set, lifting 45 pounds on the IronMind Hub, and then lifting 200 pounds on the Rolling Thunder. I tried it once about 3 years ago at a contest but was pretty spent by then and didn’t even budge the Rolling Thunder. The #2 is the easiest thing for someone like me. Followed by the Hub. Then the RT is the true challenge for most people.

Al Myers
    Keymaster

Ben, My best ever on the Rolling Thunder is 185 lbs, and at times I’ve worked it hard. At one time I thought I could get to 200 lbs, but now I doubt it! I could do those other two (hub and #2), but I know I would come up short on the Rolling Thunder.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.