Home Forums General Discussion Team Nationals this Weekend

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Team Nationals this Weekend

KCSTRONGMAN
        Keymaster

This weekend sounds like a blast. If it werent for me competing at Natinals, I wouild be there.
          ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Chad Ullom
          Participant

I’ll be there Sunday Al. I decided the highlander is a bit too close to worlds and Bree has a soccer tourney in KC I’m going to watch. What time are we starting Sunday?

Al Myers
            Keymaster

Chad, I had PLANNED on you being at the meet on Sunday, otherwise I would be doing the team lifts by myself! As for start times – don’t you read the website partner?!? Al

Thom Van Vleck
              Participant

Al, Chad went to KU….a very liberal school where they expect everything to be done for them. It will be your fault when he doesn’t show up on time. HAHA

Thom Van Vleck
                Jackson Weightlifting Club
                Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
                Keymaster

I’m betting he’ll show up on time – but then I’ll have to tell him what lifts we are doing!! OK – that gives it away, we didn’t really train together much for this one!! Al

Ben Edwards
                  Participant

Best of strength guys! I’ll be working but I’ll keep you in my thoughts and look forward to reading the results.

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Chad Ullom
                    Participant

Well I meant for breakfast, but OK I’ll just show up @10. & yea, besides trap bar, rect fix, fult bar press, idk what we’re doing. I think that’s the best way to come to a meet! Don’t wear yourself out with event specific training!

Thom Van Vleck
                      Participant

“Rect fix”…..hmmmmm….is Al doing a free “procedure” on you? I didn’t know you had any problems in that “area”. Get well soon!

Thom Van Vleck

Scott Tully
                        Participant

This was alot of fun, I hope more teams show up next year and take adavntage of this comp.

ST

Thom Van Vleck
                          Participant

Yeah, Tully, I agree. I thought that last year when me and John O’Brien drove 700 miles round trip to participate and you couldn’t even roll out of bed to drive 10 minutes to be there….HAHAHAAHA

Thom Van Vleck

Al Myers
                            Keymaster

It was a GREAT weekend!!! These things are always a lot of work getting ready for, but well worth it!! I think everyone had a lot of fun. Team Nationals went very well for everyone. It was interesting the wide variety of lifts that we did – and getting to use that specialty built 2-man trap bar that I made just for this occasion. Now time to hang it on the wall. Al

Scott Tully
                              Participant

yeah I was actually the judge for your guys comp last year DS(you figure out what that stands for) the day after running and competing in our highlander that we put on. SO Im pretty sure I was there, being that I took the pic of you four on the platform.

ST

Thom Van Vleck
                                Participant

I don’t have any recollection of you being there, Tully…..haha.

Tully, you know I love you….in a manly way…not like Chad and Al kinda way.

I’m hoping John and I will make our return next year and maybe we can double the number of teams!!! If I were tall enough, I’d ask John Conner to be on my team…but I can just see me and him doing an overhead and all the plates sliding off and hitting me in the head.

Thom Van Vleck

Scott Tully
                                  Participant

yeah Im hard to remember being so slim and sleek, lol. I would like to offer john C as your teamate now just so the last mentioned act might happen, lol.

ST

Steve Angell
                                    Participant

That two man trap bar has got to be one of the most awesome bits of kit i have ever seen!!!

Scott Tully
                                      Participant

Steve,

Al builds and designs awsome stuff, but this is seriously one of the coolest things we have in the gym.

ST

murdo01
                                        Participant

Rudy is the man, no doubt in my mind. In all of the lifts he was at or near personal best poundages, one heck of a partner. Al had said he pulled an easy 250 DL a few days before the meet, but when we got together Rudy said “Don’t tell Al, but that was about all I can do”. On the two man trap bar lift we had just done 495, so Rudy was near his best. But he suggusted putting a 45 on each side, making an equivalent of 292 1/2 for each. He didn’t worry that it would be 40+ lbs over “all I can do”. The first attempt we were out of sync a little, but on a second pull the bar came up smoothly. Great lift! I thought we might do 500+, but 585 was way over my expectations. I think that our lifts might stand as standards for 70+ for some time. What might have been our numbers if we trained seriously!

Thanks Rudy, for showing up to lift with me. You were my choice for a partner, and I couldn’t have picked a better man.

Thom Van Vleck
                                          Participant

Mike, seriously, you and Rudy are two guys that I admire a lot and I hope to be just like you when I’m your age. Guys like you make it hard for guys like me to complain! I hope you are coming my Highland Games!

Thom Van Vleck

Scott Tully
                                            Participant

Mike,

It was honestly one of those things in strength sports that I will always look back on and be glad I was there too watch you two lift. Every lift you guys went after it. The rectangualr fix lift was amazing and there deadlift was a unreal lift.

ST

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.