The New Pinch Grip

Home Forums General Discussion The New Pinch Grip

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Just when we get done debating the last issue “democracy” I run this story, which could be a controversial one as well. This is a big change in the rules for how the Pinch Grip has been done recently.

Curious what everyone’s opinion of this change is??

Ben Edwards
        Participant

There were several people who were shooting for 300lbs (me included) with the extreme front hang allowance. Whereas, my max pinch with symmetrical loading would be around 150-160lbs.

I think the only controversial thing that happened at the contest was that the extreme front hang group (those of us using the two 10 pound plates and a ton of heavy front hang) was shut down and switched over to the more moderate front hang group that was using the two 45s and smaller plates for front hang.

In hindsight, all competitors (in my opinion) should’ve used the same setup if able to. I understand that some of the beginners and/or very light bodyweight competitors might have had to use the two 10 pound plates due to not being able to pinch the two 45 pound plates together.

Here’s an idea – maybe there should be a rule that the smallest weight plates used are 25 pound plates. And if that is too heavy, THEN the two 10 pound plates could be used. If the competitor uses the two 10 pound plates and adds enough weight to go over 50 pounds total – they are automatically moved up to the two 25 pound plates on their next attempt. Same for the two 35 pound plates.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson

Ben Edwards
          Participant

The obvious thing I forgot to say in my above post was that pinch grip with extreme front hang did not test my pinch grip strength at all. Jason Payne said the same thing. Neither of us felt it in any way was testing pinch grip that day. It felt like more of a finger ledge deadlift to me.

I saw your remark that you were going to feature both pinch grip styles in next year’s grip champs. I would like to respectfully say – “Ewwwww!”

KCSTRONGMAN
            Keymaster

I think the move was proper and necessary. Me and Lance had trained it strict, and I was horrible (compared to many of the records I saw in the book). Then he told me how people had done it at the meet it made a bit more sense to me. The problem is, doing the lift with the obscene fronthang detracts away from what the lift is supposed to test. So, the solution of two different lifts satisfies that.

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Al Myers
              Keymaster

Ben,
                With the new strict pinch Grip added weight plates MUST be on tight, and with the rule not allowing fingers to touch added plates or the pin. small plates will only be used if the lifter is lifting 20 pounds. After that the lifter would have to move up plate size to do more weight. We made sure the rules specified that plates must be on tight for this reason.

Ben Edwards
                  Participant

Ben,
                    With the new strict pinch Grip added weight plates MUST be on tight, and with the rule not allowing fingers to touch added plates or the pin. small plates will only be used if the lifter is lifting 20 pounds. After that the lifter would have to move up plate size to do more weight. We made sure the rules specified that plates must be on tight for this reason.

Al, I understand what you’re saying here. I agree with the rule update for the strict pinch grip.

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.