Home Forums General Discussion Thom’s Dinnie Piece

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Travis Willingham
      Participant

Thom’s Dinnie Piece

Travis Willingham
        Participant

Apparently I really don’t know how to make pictures smaller, though I did figure out how to attach them.

Al Myers
          Keymaster

In David Webster and Gordon Dinnies Book “Donald Dinnie”, they make mention that the larger ring was broken and replaced in the early 1950’s.

Thom Van Vleck
            Participant

Was it replaced with a ring the same size as the one before?

I realize now I must have read that in Dinnies book and it became one of the “puzzle” pieces in my head.

I don’t claim to “know it all” even if sometimes I act like a “know it all”!!!

Thom Van Vleck
              Jackson Weightlifting Club
              Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
              Keymaster

The book said, “a new, larger ring made to replace it”. So I’m assuming the ring was initially probably the size of the small stone. Al

Participant

no matter what the size of the rings, ANYONE who can lift them unassisted, is a rock star in my book! good job, travis. thanks for coming to MAC!!

Al Myers
                  Keymaster

Travis, I was just looking closer at your pictures of the Dinnie Stones and noticed blood dripping from your hand onto the stones. This makes me wonder how much blood has “been spilled” on those stones thru the years!! I bet ALOT!! Thanks for posting those pictures – you usually don’t get the details your pictures showed from other pictures! Al

Travis Willingham
                    Participant

I stopped after the 3rd lift, right when I was getting warmed up, because a piece of my thumb got sheared right off. That part of my thumb was sensitive while lifting for 6 months after that. I’m sure there’s a bit of DNA on those stones. I took such detailed pics because I told my training partners that if I realized my goal and lifted them that I would have a picture of them tattooed onto my arm, and I did.

And Dave, the wife and I are already talking about another little weekend getaway to the games next year. We enjoyed it, though I had a sub-par day of throwing. And I did get to play with the drill bits, I was the one who carried them back to the sheaf standards.

Participant

well done, trav. well done!!! we’ll be lookin’ for ya!

Roger Davis
                        Participant

Travis,

Great pictures, I would love to see a picture of your “tat” as well.

Personally I find the smaller ring easier to lift on (with same weight obviously) I guess if the ring is smaller then teh curve is more pronounced in ralation to your hand and more ring will be in contact with your hand .. just a thought.

Roger

Chad Ullom
                          Participant

You must of been there Sunday Travis, sorry I missed you. We came out for just a bit, but couldn’t stay too long.

Travis Willingham
                            Participant

[b]Quote from chadul79 on September 29, 2010, 06:42[/b]
                              You must of been there Sunday Travis, sorry I missed you. We came out for just a bit, but couldn’t stay too long.

I was out throwing when you all were walking around. Scott came out and talked with me a bit. I was there just a bit on saturday before the storm hit, enough to watch your caber domination.

Roger – I’ll have to get a picture of the tat someday and post it up. It took a few sessions to complete and cost me a fortune. The 4th pic above is the actual picture the artist used for it.

Thom Van Vleck
                              Participant

I think it depends on how you grip. Some guys grip down in the fingers, but me, I get it up in the hand and when I gripped that smaller ring….it simply folded my hand and was painful. I could grip the bigger ring much easier. I have the same problem with “rings” over “D handles” in highland games. I can throw a “D” handle much easier and more often farther as a result.

Thom Van Vleck
                                Jackson Weightlifting Club
                                Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Travis Willingham
                                Participant

I know exactly what you’re talking about, placing the ring up further in the hand. I used to do that as well but it always seemed to want to slip further down the hand, so I just let it. It also seemed that holding it up that far made the skin where all my callouses are get pinched, which was painful. I still do it from time to time as an old habit. I practiced weight for height recently and the skin on my palm towards my fingers hurt for days.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.