Thor's Hammer: Rule change needed

Home Forums General Discussion Thor's Hammer: Rule change needed

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Thom Van Vleck 1 week ago.

• Author

Thom Van Vleck
    Participant

Al Myers and I were recently talking about Thor’s Hammer which is a lift in the USAWA (specifically in the Old Time Strong Man category). It is a recent addition and one that is a totally new lift when it was added to the OTSM list. As a result Al noted there was an issue with how the bar could be loaded that would give the lifter an advantage. Specifically using 2.5lb plates to bring the center of gravity in on the hammer.

The problem with allow this to continue is that the vertical bar would have a limit on how many small plates could be added. So I would like to consider a rule change that make sure every lifter is using the same plate loading format. This is especially important with postal meets. So we are looking to create fairness.

I would like to open this up to the members.
    1. The first idea would be to allow 2.5lb plates to be loaded until reaching a certain limit (say 20 2.5lb plates). The problem is the Dino gym would probably the only gym that could accommodate that.
    2. The second idea would be a simplest rule that when you could use a bigger weight you would have to jump up a plate size. For example assuming a 2.5lb jump would mean moving to a 5lb plate rather than two 2.5lb plates.
    3. The third idea would be a special rule for Thor’s hammer. That there would be an ascension in plate size up to 10lbs. Then that wold be the final jump. Because using a 25lb plate really throws that center of gravity off…not to mention a 35lb plate or a 45lb plate. So with this rule there would be a jump in plate size when necessary up to 10lbs and from that point on the lifter could stack as many 10’s as they wanted moving forward.

Any other ideas? Am I missing something? I would like to get this nailed down and submitted in time for a vote at Nationals in June.

Thom Van Vleck
    Jackson Weightlifting Club
    All-Round nice guy

KCSTRONGMAN
    Participant

I absolutely agree with this. Using a bar full of 2s does not violate the rules of the lift currently, but it certainly is in violation of the intent of the lift. If I am understanding correctly, I would be in favor of rule 3. It is what we have done at the Championship when Thor’s hammer was contested. So, the biggest plate you would use is a 10? And you could say add a 5 or a 2 to get to the desired weight. For example, my hammer is 5#, and I call for 82.5#, I would put 7 tens, one 5 and one 2. 5 +70 +5 + 2=82.5. Having a long string of 2s negates the need for the proper technique when catching the weight or the wrist strength needed to stop the weight at the top. Not to mention it is not hammeresque. If we continue to allow a stack of 2s to be used, I suggest we change the name to Thor’s hammer handle. Because without something bigger at the end, you do not have the hammer head.

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

RJ
    Participant

Maybe make it a general rule using #2 of your examples. “Plates must be loaded using the largest plates and in the sequence of heavier discs innermost with the smaller discs in descending weight arranged”

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  RJ.

Al Myers
    Keymaster

I like the Rule #2 with the added stipulation that up to 10 pound plates can be used. So using what RJ said, the added rule would state:

‚ÄúPlates must be loaded using the largest plates and in the sequence of heavier discs innermost with the smaller discs in descending weight arranged, with a maximum of 10 pound plates being used.”

Thom Van Vleck
    Participant

Al, seems like so far everyone likes the “10lb plate rule”. I like how you worded it. Can we take that to Nationals to amend that rule?

Thom Van Vleck
    All-Round nice guy

Al Myers
    Keymaster

yes, if someone gives a second

KCSTRONGMAN
    Participant

I would second that motion…

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Al Myers
    Keymaster

and it passes! I’ll propose it to the EB.

Ben Edwards
    Participant

I definitely agree with this rule change. Just late to respond. I did try it a few times in training with a 25lb plate (on my 15lb USAWA 2″ vbar) and it was so much harder than with small diameter plates. I tried it with a 35lb plate ONCE and about lost teeth, lol.

RJ
    Participant

Sounds great!

Thom Van Vleck
    Participant

Ben Edwards, I work at a Dental school….I’m been accussed of trying to come up with a lift that brings in business!

Thom Van Vleck
    All-Round nice guy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.