V-bar

Home Forums General Discussion V-bar

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      KCSTRONGMAN
      Keymaster

Is there a trick to the V-bar, or do I just suck at it?

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Ben Edwards
        Participant

Is there a trick to the V-bar, or do I just suck at it?

You just suck at it…

Just kidding! Do you have an issue with stopping the rotation of the bar when you lift it? Or does the bar just seem to be glued to the floor at a weight you feel like you should be able to lift?

If stopping the rotation is a problem, you need to start in a “fully pronated” grip. This is what I refer to it as. No supination whatsoever.

If the bar just feels glued to the floor, that is more of a problem with just getting more grip strength.

One “tip” that might help is to try a different method of gripping the bar than what you’re currently doing. If you currently actively try to crush the bar when you grip it – try the opposite in your next workout. I don’t actively crush the bar at all. I rely on friction to keep the bar as glued to my palm as possible. I am sure that in reality I AM actually crushing the bar. But when I actively try to crush the bar my numbers suffer immediately. I do the same thing for Axle pulls – only “cup” the bar in a Kung Fu grip and don’t even focus at all on crushing the bar. Just “holding” the bar.

Does this make sense?

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson

Ben Edwards
          Participant

I am a savant when it comes to the vertical bar done with “standard” grip contest rules (not USAWA rules). There is much more technique involved on the vertical bar done with non-USAWA rules. I think there is a bit of carryover, but realistically, it would be better to just always train USAWA rules if that is the only vertical bar rules you will ever do. I just mentioned the standard grip contest rules vertical bar in case you are ever interested in competing in a non-USAWA grip contest. They both have pros and cons, of course.

KCSTRONGMAN
            Keymaster

Or does the bar just seem to be glued to the floor at a weight you feel like you should be able to lift?

This one. I think my grip just sucks. Story of my life…

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Al Myers
              Keymaster

ET, There is a secret that will add 20 pounds to your VBAR. I discovered it several years ago by accident. It’s not something I really want to share on the forum (don’t worry – it’s not doing anything against the rules!). For as far as I know only two people know and they’ve been sworn to secrecy – Chad and Mark Haydock. I haven’t even told my dad. I told both of them in Australia before the 2011 Worlds and it definitely helped them with the VBAR that day. Afterwards I regretted telling them, but I tend to give out my secrets too freely over a couple beers.

Lance Foster
                Participant

Al, name your price…er…beer! 😀

The Gloved One

Ben Edwards
                  Participant

Dang, Al! I want to know the secret too! I don’t even drink, but I can sure BUY some drinks for you. 😉

ET, maybe you should give overloads a try? Use two hands to lift a heavier weight (go conservative, like 5 to 10 pounds more at first) than what you can do with one hand and then “hold” the weight at lockout until it either drops out of your hands or ride it back to the ground before it rips out of your hand. I did a short stint of these with 1″ vbar about 11 years ago and it helped me hit some huge numbers that year.

Chad Ullom
                    Participant

If it’s any consolation Al, I think I”ve forgotten what you told me.
                      ET, one thing that I recall someone telling me is that I had too much chalk on my hand. I really try and rub it in on the bar. Hope it helps

Al Myers
                      Keymaster

geez Chad, how can you forget this! It wasn’t over any beers – it was right before the 2 bar VB lift at Worlds. I was trying to get into Mark’s head and I just remember him giving me this skeptical look not knowing to believe me or not, and him wondering if he should try it right before the lift. I even had you going along with me! It was pretty funny, and the three of us did have a good laugh over it later over a few beers.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.