Home Forums General Discussion Videos from Team Nationals

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Videos from Team Nationals

Chad Ullom
        Participant

I’m pretty sure he shows to all of his classes and encourages them to show others!

Tom Ryan
          Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on September 20, 2010, 16:40[/b]
            I put up 5 videos from this past weekend’s Team Nationals on our YouTube Account. Make sure you check them out. We have several videos now on our YouTube Account (USAWAVideos). The number one video is Scott’s Campbells Steinborn Lift with 2669 views, followed by Chad Ullom’s Arthur Lift with 1108 views, and third is Kevin Fulton’s Jefferson Lift with 990 views. We are still far from some other YouTube Videos that exceed 10,000 views but things are improving. Give Scott a little more time of watching his own video over and over again and it will reach those heights of YouTube fame!! Al

10,000 views? There are more than a few YouTube videos with 3 or 4 MILLION views. Of course I would expect Barbra Streisand, Barry Gibb, The Carpenters, and Michael Buble’ to be just a tad more popular than you guys. 🙂

Among lifting videos, one of Derek Poundstone’s videos that I saved has over 100,000 views.

I have watched a live feed from Poland of the World Masters Weightlifting Championships for the past two nights. The time zone difference is messing up my sleep but it is fun to watch. Whenever I watch a competition like this, I get temporarily fired up, but my back won’t tolerate fast pulling movements anymore and snatches hurt my shoulders, so I regain my senses after a day or two. LOL

I don’t know if this was a mistake, but NOBODY was listed as being entered in the 105+ class in the 65-69 age group on the start list, that being my class.
            But three lifters did compete, with two of them just barely over the 105 limit and the other one, Klaus Samer, a veteran of these competitions, weighing in at 115.

I’ve got to somehow get my body back together so I can do snatches and C&Js again. My best squat clean, accomplished at the age of 25, was an easy 315 but I had the pulling power to do 350-375. Just poor leverage caused by long thigh bones, as John Coffee mentioned to me 17 years ago during a training session at his gym. I’m simply not built for lifting! But the fire to do snatches and C&Js is still there! I was always an Olympic lifter and never dabbled in anything else when I was in my prime.

I observed a serious injury in the lifting I watched last night, as a lifter who was probably about my age crumbled to the platform as he was missing a jerk. Two lifters finally carried him off, after he was down for quite a while.

I am looking forward to seeing Fred Lowe lift tonight. There are very few U.S. lifters entered. David Meltzer of the Malone-Meltzer formula is one of the other U.S. lifters. He is an interesting guy and is a very good lifter at the age of 58. He and I had some spirited correspondence about 12 years ago when I was appointed to serve on a committee to evaluate the Malone-Meltzer formula.

At this years World Masters, they are playing an abbreviated version of the national anthem of the country represented by the world champion as each one is crowned. I worked as an expediter at the 1993 World Masters, being roped into that job (LOL), and David actually sang all of those anthems! That blew my mind! How many people have ever memorized dozens of national anthems? Unreal.

Tom

Thom Van Vleck
            Participant

Tom, you and I seem to share more than a name. I LOVE Olympic lifting and if I would have had any talent in that area, I’d been an Oly lifter. I powercleaned 225lbs at age 16 weighing less than 200lbs….and couldn’t BACK Squat that let alone front squat. Even today, my best all time power clean is 310lbs and my best Continental is 380lbs (done at age 45), but my best front squat is 325lbs and that is done leaning forward terribly. I lifted at the Sports Palace and Jim Schmitz watched me and he said, “your thigh bones are WAAAAAY too long to be effective in the squat clean”. He suggested I stick to split cleans and snatchs. I just felt I could have much more success as a thrower (and I did!) and I’m glad I did….but if I had the leverage….I’m certain I’d been over there lifting!!

Thom Van Vleck
              Jackson Weightlifting Club
              Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
              Keymaster

Tom – It is amazing how we can see “about everything” via the internet and YouTube.

As for Scotty’s video becoming famous among YouTube Videos – I agree it has a ways to go. I just didn’t want to overwhelm Scotty C by mentioning more than 10,000 views as elite status, because if I did it would overwhelm him and he would start doing things like giving extra credit to his students for watching it. (Oh wait a minute – he’s ALREADY doing that!!!) haha Al

Chad Ullom
                Participant

you took the words out of my mouth Al, except it’s not EXTRA credit….required!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.