Home Forums General Discussion Wayne Jackson

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Wayne Jackson

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

Wayne only benched close grip using the same grip he used on overhead presses. He only got in one power meet I’m aware of and that was the 1971 Missouri State Championships with he won. His best bench was 405. I think he could have done 500 had he worked on it….but my Uncle’s had a dim view of powerlifters! haha As I recall, Wayne entered that 1971 meet just to prove that an oly lifter could win it without much effort at the behest of his brother Phil. I recall Wayne front squatting 440 and back squatting 550…again, he never worked it, his back squat was upright and high on his back. He also hang cleaned 330 for 8 sets of 3 reps when he was in his late 30’s and his best Deadlift being 640. I saw him seated press 330lbs one time and he did 8 sets of 3 with 300. He used a high bench and got his feet behind him and got a great drive off his chest.

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
          Keymaster

Thom, 640 – Isn’t that ALSO you’re best deadlift??? I’m pretty sure that was the number I saw on your personal record board. Al

Thom Van Vleck
            Participant

….and my best bench was 405. Those were goals for that reason. When I hit that deadlift and bench, I was 35 years old, I was at the point I wanted to focus on highland games and called it good. I knew that it would take a lot more work to reach a 700 deadlift (I believed I could have done that had I kept focusing on it) and there was NO WAY I’d ever bench 500 (I just didn’t have it as a bench presser)….so I quit there. Wayne was my hero and I didn’t want to beat him.

Thom Van Vleck
              Jackson Weightlifting Club
              Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.