by Thom Van Vleck
- 1. Wash your hands thoroughly after using liniment before going to the bathroom (especially before putting on a squat suit).
- 2. Make sure your spotter is paying attention (and not “spotting” the hot girl stretching across the gym) as you can’t talk much when you are pinned in a full squat position with 500lbs on your back.
- 3. Not only do you want to make sure you unload the bar evenly, you want to make sure anyone else around you is unloading evenly….especially your brother.
- 4. Tall guys with long legs can’t sumo deadlift….your feet will be directly under the weight when you drop it.
- 5. If you are tall and you are going to do overhead presses or jerks, make sure there is enough room for you, the bar, and the plates. Also, if you push press a bar into a rafter, it will come directly back down and hit you in the head.
- 6. If you are deadlifting on the second floor, make sure there is not a suspended ceiling underneath….it will fall and the person sitting under it will be upset.
- 7. Make sure you have plenty of room to run up under a jerk…..or it will go out the window…..seriously….and you will have a lot of explaining to do to the owner of the garage.
- 8. Don’t try and use old, tight jeans in lieu of a squat suit…..you will be left with the worst blood blisters of your life.
- 9. If you don’t work a body part often or for awhile, work into it slowly. Don’t do 20 sets the first workout or you may be really, really sore….and your mother may want to take you to the ER. Especially Calves and Abs.
- 10. Finally, If you training partner asks you to “hit me” to pump him up for a workout and you hit him too hard, he will hit back.
Bonus: Don’t take supplements on an empty stomach….especially a lot of supplements, you will waste your money.