by Al Myers
Steve Gardner, the meet director for the IAWA World Postal Meet, has announced the plans for this competition coming later in summer. This gives everyone the great opportunity to see how you “stack up” against international competition without ever even leaving your own gym!
Steve has picked an outstanding set of lifts that everyone should be able to perform easily. There’s really no reason there should not be record entries for the World Postal this year!
The rules for this event are as follows (as outlined on the entry form):
This competition is open to all IAWA lifters, for teams of three, and individuals as well. Teams may be a mix of open/masters/juniors/ladies, as well as all age and bodyweight allowances will figure in for the results. No limit to the number of lifters, if a team or group enter more than three: the top three will form the team score. A sheet caters or 5 lifters. If you have two teams, then just copy, and use two sheets, etc. All lifts must be officiated by at least one IAWA Referee (they should sign the score sheet). To be eligible for IAWA World Records there must be 3 officials used. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN A TEAM. Individuals may also take part in the competition as all rankings will be listed for age/weight classes. Have fun lifting in the Annual “Andy Goddard” Memorial Competition. Good luck.
Now for some added important information:
1. The date for entry is the END OF AUGUST. Make sure your lifts are completed and sent to Steve by that time.
2. The lifts chosen for this event are the Cheat Curl, Pullover and Press, and the One Arm Deadlift. The rules for these lifts are outlined in the USAWA Rulebook, which is available on the website. Make sure to list the arm used in the One Arm Deadlift.
3. If you live in the United States, you MUST be an USAWA member to participate. Make sure to join before you lift in this postal championships or you will find that your lifts will not be recorded in the official scoresheet.
4. All lifts must be performed in the same day. This is not specified in the event rules, but is a assumed rule of all postal meets.
5. Please enter your results in kilograms in the scoresheet. Steve would make the conversions for you – but the meet is scored in kilograms so enter them that way.
6. Make sure you PRINT the names of the one or three officials used as well as having the officials sign the scoresheet. For USAWA lifters, these officials must be active current certified USAWA officials. Make sure to check their “status” on the website before assuming they are current.
7. As per any meet and as OUTLINED in the rulebook, you get three attempts. These must be declared and adhered to. You don’t just keep adding weight till you miss and take unlimited attempts. That’s not the way a meet runs. The fourth block in the entry form is for an extra fourth attempt for record.
8. Make sure to list all attempts on the entry form. Circle the ones you make and cross thru the ones that are missed.
9. Please write CLEARLY on the scoresheet, and fill out the scoresheet completely!
10. Remember this postal championship is ran on the HONOR SYSTEM. Be truthful in your efforts, and feel good about giving your best performance in an honorable manner. If everyone does that – the future of this meet is strong!
ENTRY FORM – 2014 IAWA Postal Worlds Entry Form