Thom Van Vleck
      Participant

Alexeev Photo

Thom Van Vleck
        Jackson Weightlifting Club
        Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

John McKean
        Participant

I was at the Columbus meet when Alexeev jerked that 500 (what a thrill!!) but I don’t recognise any of the other guys in the photo (and I’m not in the pic)! One of the guys up front looks a bit like a young Scott Schmidt, but that’s not possible, as Scott is way older than me!

Tom Ryan
          Participant

I think you are probably right, Thom. These may have been some Ohio State students who wanted to have their picture taken with him. They may have been more than just students, however, as look at the size of the right forearm of the young man seated to the left of Alexeev.

The photo looks strange to me because Alexeev, who was relatively trim in 1970, weighed 299 at that contest but he doesn’t look much bigger than these guys!

One of the most unusual “lifting” photos of all time was taken in Columbus during that time as the great Mohammad Nassiri of Iran lifted a waitress a short distance off the floor while she was sitting on a tray. That photo appeared in newspapers and I probably still have it somewhere.

I had thought about driving up to Columbus for the contest but didn’t do so. Of course I didn’t know that Alexeev would make that historic C&J (227.5 kilos, 501.55 pounds).

Tom Ryan
            Participant

[b]Quote from memck487@aol.com on June 3, 2011, 14:27[/b]
              I was at the Columbus meet when Alexeev jerked that 500 (what a thrill!!) but I don’t recognise any of the other guys in the photo (and I’m not in the pic)! One of the guys up front looks a bit like a young Scott Schmidt, but that’s not possible, as Scott is way older than me!

John,

How many Scott Schmidts are there? The one who is a member here is much YOUNGER than you.

Tom

Al Myers
              Keymaster

Great job guys!!! The truth is I know A LOT MORE than I have let on about this picture. One of the guys in the picture you should recognize as he is a very active person in the USAWA. Al PS Tom – John still thinks he is 25 years old.

61pwcc
                Participant

Guy with the aforementioned ‘big forearm’, looks like a young Steve Jeck.
                  Guy standing with glasses looks a bit like Laverne.

Tom Ryan
                  Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on June 3, 2011, 15:40[/b]
                    Great job guys!!! The truth is I know A LOT MORE than I have let on about this picture. One of the guys in the picture you should recognize as he is a very active person in the USAWA. Al PS Tom – John still thinks he is 25 years old.

Okay, Al, you have turned this into a quiz question that is as difficult as any of my quiz questions! The person seated to Alexeev’s left (whose traps seem to dwarf those of Alexeev!) bears some resemblance to Ed Schock, but Ed would
                    have been only 17 or so if the picture was indeed taken in 1970, as seems to be the case. So I don’t think it is him and I am still stumped.

Of course 1970 is almost 20 years before the USAWA was formed and I don’t know how to “de-age” people. Presumably all of the people in the photo are now in their 60s (at least). I know that Alexeev is now 69.

Al Myers
                    Keymaster

It’s not Ed (but you are getting close hint hint. Also, Steve Jeck is not in the picture either (Steve’s a little too young to be in that picture), and I WISH I could say my dad LaVerne was in that picture but he’s not. (if he was I probably would have pulled a Thom by now and mentioned it in a website story by now haha).

I do promise to have the full report on this mystery picture sometime next week. Al

Scott Tully
                      Participant

Is the Guy with glasses Denny? looks a slight bit like him.

ST

Al Myers
                        Keymaster

BINGO!!!! The Professor is a winner!!!!

Tom Ryan
                          Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on June 4, 2011, 12:05[/b]
                            BINGO!!!! The Professor is a winner!!!!

Hold the phone. The Professor guessed that Denny is the guy with glasses but most of the people in the photo are wearing glasses! 🙂

Thom Van Vleck
                            Participant

Professor? You mean the Enforcer!

…and Al, I had TWO JWC members there that day and super 8 footage of the meet. That is enough for a 5 part website story! hahaha

Thom Van Vleck
                              Jackson Weightlifting Club
                              Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
                              Keymaster

Haha I knew you would say that Tom as soon as I posted that reply!! Denny is the first person on the second row, from left to right!!

The full story will appear tomorrow, including how Denny was involved in a middle of the night “firecracker incident” that woke Alexseev up and caused him to storm angerly into the hall looking for the guilty culprit!

I’m sure at that point every one was saying “the guy with the glasses lit it!”

Scott Tully
                                Participant

well Tom Ryan since your mr. technical, I was referring to the guy in glasses who looks like Denny.

ST

Tom Ryan
                                  Participant

[b]Quote from Scott Tully on June 5, 2011, 03:18[/b]
                                    well Tom Ryan since your mr. technical, I was referring to the guy in glasses who looks like Denny.

ST

Yes, Professor, I am technical but I have been called worse than that, with “picky” being among my other labels. Someone I worked for/with when I was a college professor told me one day that I am somewhat picky.

It is better to be picky than sloppy, however, which is obviously what Bank of America was and that resulted in a homeowner foreclosing on THEM (see http://www.digtriad.com/news/watercooler/article/178031/176/Florida-Homeowner-Forecloses-On-Bank-Of-America )

I was around Denny on a few occasions over 20 years ago and I don’t recall him wearing glasses then, although I see that he wears them now. Of course if he did eye exercises and took nutritional supplements … 🙂

Tom

Al Myers
                                    Keymaster

I guess it will be tomorrow with the update. I promised myself I would stay off the computer today

Scott Tully
                                      Participant

Picky, technical, we could probably add a few other, lol. Just kidding Tom. I have only known Denny in Glasses over the last 7-8 years and when I was looking at that pic before I got on the forum and saw Al was asking if we recognized any of them, could tell that Was him, also I knew Denny was competing in oly lifting at that time also. I have to be picky/technical in my job 10+ hours a day, probably my I am a mess outside of work.

ST

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.