All-Round=Motorhead?

Home Forums General Discussion All-Round=Motorhead?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      KCSTRONGMAN
      Keymaster

Does that make Al or Denny Lemmy?
        https://www.chaosandpain.com/tips/inside-the-bizarre-world-of-allround-weightlifting/

A interesting, albeit rather ignorant article

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Al Myers
        Keymaster

hahaha Thank you for sharing that ET! I’m glad you found that blog, as I don’t normally go to websites called Chaos and Pain. At first I couldn’t decide whether I should be offended or not by it, but then after rereading it a couple times I found great humor in it. It got a little windy and full of fluff (but then again it referenced Thom Van Vleck LOL) but overall a pretty funny read. Despite being off on several factual points of strength history, his jabs did “hit home” on us on several fronts.

I’m just glad that I have alot of Morlocks as friends.

KCSTRONGMAN
          Keymaster

Definitely rambling and fll of fluff. Definitely inaccurate at times. Say, here is the website for the other org mentioned in the article:

Funny, it was around when I got started in all-round, apparently. I had not heard about it until recently. Looks like the guy who ran it kicked it a few years back?

Al Myers
            Keymaster

Yes, the OLSA (Odd Lift Strength Association) has been the only all round lifting association that has ever arisen to give the USAWA competition. It only lasted for a few years and was pretty much centered out of only one gym. Interestingly none of the guys in the group ever did any USAWA stuff. Bill used to run their info in the newsletter which had me confused at the time because they had no affiliation with us at all. I’m actually surprised their website is still up because they have not had a competition for over 10 years now!!!

KCSTRONGMAN
              Keymaster

Sorry-here is the link

http://www.oddlifts.com/

Al Myers
                Keymaster

I’m surprised no one else has comments regarding that article!

Surely someone has to be offended by it!!!

KCSTRONGMAN
                  Keymaster

Leroy and I discussed that yesterday (Leroy, feel free to chime in). I have a hard time getting offended by things like this. Just like when they had “Cheap seats” episodes on WSM and Highland games. Some people got their panties in a bunch about being made fun of. Fact is, those, and we are a fringe sport. I do realize the absurdity of some of what we do. I found it funny the last time, to my knowledge, that my neck lift was in Guinness, and they just listed it among a number of circus freak show lifts like amount lifted with eyelids and such. I guess I aint above being in the freak show. But in my book, anybody that strives to be theri best self in any discipline is doing OK.
                    ET

Thom Van Vleck
                    Participant

I wasn’t offended. His source material was very accurate and non-fluffy.

Thom Van Vleck
                      Jackson Weightlifting Club
                      Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
                      Keymaster

ET, I totally agree with you on what you’ve said. The USAWA/IAWA will never be popular amongst the mainstream strength crowd.

However, Mr Chaos was pretty much dead wrong when he stated that there is “very little crossever of athletes from the USAWA into other strength sports”. Practically everyone I know in the USAWA started off doing some other type of strength competition.

But gotta say I agree when he said “the USAWA hands out awards like a kindergarten teacher who lives next to a trophy shop”. haha I found that pretty funny, as obviously its directed towards our liberal Award Director!

Chad Ullom
                        Participant

It is hard to argue with that! Lol

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.