Anvil

Home Forums General Discussion Anvil

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      dwagman
      Participant

Anvil

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
        are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
        compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

Just a good ol’ clean and press.

But I have to admit, Dan…..I used a bit of strategy in getting in that old shop. I didn’t go barging right in like the Army would, I first did a visual recon, then I observed to locals and understood their ways, next I developed a repertoire with the the wife and ascertained that her husband was not in the shop. I then developed a battle plan that not only included an objective (locate whatever was of lifting value in the shop….she had confirmed an anvil…but not if it were a target of value) but also an exit plan.

Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.

ohhh….and did I mention the Marines taught me how to shoot, as well? One shot one kill…we didn’t have limitless supplies like the Army did…we had to make do…HAHAHAHAHA

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

dwagman
          Participant

Indeed, I see a difference in tactical approach. I just dropped in from the sky, did a gazelle-like PLF (you wouldn’t understand…hihihi), did a brief visual, was discouraged by the indigenous people, and determined that advancing farther wasn’t worth the risk. I suspect that in your case, there was probably a bit of sand somewhere, and you just couldn’t resist… 🙂

As to my shooting skills, I’m going to ask Al (perhaps right now if he’s “listening”), if I might sight in my rifle in August. If so, I challenge you to meet me head-on: My M-4 vs. your rifle of choice, 100 yards, iron sights, 10 rounds. Loser buys dinner and beer while wearing the winner’s branch of service t-shirt.

OH YEAH, THE CHALLENGE IS ON! GET READY TO RUUUUUUUUUUMBLE!!!

-d

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Participant

I’LL TAKE A PIECE OF THAT ACTION. HOWEVER, I AM NOT ‘MILITARY’ TRAINED BUT ‘OLE JOHN’ “INSTRUCTED”.

Al Myers
              Keymaster

[b]Quote from JWCIII on July 19, 2013, 14:11[/b]

ohhh….and did I mention the Marines taught me how to shoot, as well? One shot one kill…we didn’t have limitless supplies like the Army did…we had to make do…HAHAHAHAHA

OUCH!! haha Found that really funny as that brought back memories from the shooting contest following the Dino Challenge!! I could tell the story here, but I don’t want to embarrass anyone.

Now be careful Dan about making bets with Thom. He has a way to agree to the original terms of the bet only to make changes during the course of the challenge to give him advantages. He will get someone to give a false testimony about the original terms (who probably was intoxicated at the time), and use this person as his expert witness to the original rules of the challenge, which are different than what you agreed to. Thom’s tricky that way – and has no problem using deviance in his tactical approach.

dwagman
                Participant

Well, Al, seems like you have no objections to hosting The Army vs. Marine Corpse [grin] Challenge. And if Dave is gonna participate, too, then I’m pretty sure that we can keep Thom in line. Besides, I’m bringing my Schutzhund and I’m already training him in sniffing out jarheads and keeping ’em honest.

I find it interesting that I posted The Challenge around 1330 hrs. yesterday and it’s now 0855 the next day…and there’s been no reply from Thom. [Thom, 1330 is 1:30 PM and 0855 is 8:55 AM [snicker]] I don’t think Thom is chicken, but perhaps he’s already scheming…

Oh, and I figured out why he lifted the anvil. He was trying to get to the Cajun Style vertical head…we call that a latrine, Thom…that’s behind the anvil. LOL

-d

Dan

Thom Van Vleck
                  Participant

Al is just mad that I’m too smart to fall for his “psych” jobs like Chad. I accept this challenge, Iron sites and all. My question is are we shooting from a bench, can I use sand bags….prone…let’s be clear so Al can’t accuse me of manipulating the rules.

And Dave can represent the Air Force…..he’s been thru as much boot camp as anyone in the Air Force…am I right Dan!

Thom Van Vleck

Thom Van Vleck
                    Participant

…..this reminds me of Al’s Kstate/KU bets he has with Chad. But I’m not going to get hustled like Chad is (setting him up with these easy wins, the sticking it to him at a later time…oh…wait….I hope Chad’s not reading this or I just ruined all Al’s hard work).

As for how long it took…I was busy practicing.

Thom Van Vleck

dwagman
                      Participant

IT’S ON! OH YEAH!!!!

Thom, how ’bout we use Al’s bench? I think sand bags are fine, that’ll make it easier for you to eat dirt. LOL Being an Army paratrooper, I’m of course a bit more sophisticated and will use a rifle-mounted bi-pod. Is that agreeable to you?

I’m curious about one thing, though. Can you put “Air Force” and “Boot Camp” in one sentence? 🙂

-d

Dan

Thom Van Vleck
                        Participant

When I joined I went to all the branches and I recall the air force recruiter actually selling it as easier. HAHAHAHA

Yes, sand bags vs tripod. Agreed. 100 yards only? 10 rounds? or more? …and open sites, correct?

I say we have two rounds each, that way we can tabulate the results half way and build suspense…at least for you. HAHA This will be fun.

Thom Van Vleck

Al Myers
                          Keymaster

Now Thom all you have to do is COMMIT to coming to the Dino Days next month! Dan has already told me he’s gonna be here. Because if you don’t make it now since you agreed to this hee man sharpshooting challenge – you will be called out for it. What’s the word that comes to mind???? CHICKEN

I can’t wait to see this. Probably be worthy of another website story. haha Al

dwagman
                            Participant

I actually went to the Marine recruiter first…I hate to admit it. LOL But that Sgt. dude was a jerk so I went down the hall to the Army and they were much more professional and wrote SF and Airborne School into my contract, too. That sold me!

I agree, this’ll be GREAT fun. I think that if we want to, we can slightly modify the rules of engagement as we go. As an example, if you want us to each do 5 rounds, then the other does 5, and we start based on a coin toss, that would be fine. We could also increase it to 20 rounds total @ 100 yards for more suspense and pressure on each of us. I still have to sight in my weapon before we let it hang out and I don’t know if we want to spend all that time waiting for me to be ready. I’d like to take my time and do it right. I just don’t have much opportunity here to take it out to 200 or more. That’s why I suggested 100.

Yes, open sights…that should make it a bit more challenging, don’t you think?

And let’s not forget THE most important part of this Challenge: Loser buys winner’s dinner and beer and MUST wear winner’s branch of service t-shirt.

-d

Dan

Thom Van Vleck
                              Participant

Sounds great! Don’t let Al tell you stories about me…..hahahaha

Thom Van Vleck

dwagman
                                Participant

[b]Quote from JWCIII on July 23, 2013, 08:52[/b]
                                  Sounds great! Don’t let Al tell you stories about me…..hahahaha

I’ll wear my combat boots just in case the shit gets too deep. HA!

Dan

Thom Van Vleck
                                  Participant

Dino Days?!?!?! When did I agree to that. There’s Al inserting things into our agreements and then calling me out. I will get there when I get there.

Thom Van Vleck

dwagman
                                    Participant

I will get there when I get there.

Speaking of which…do you want to do this on Saturday after lifting or Sunday after lifting? It doesn’t matter to me.

Dan

dwagman
                                      Participant

Hey Thom, just bought some of those big ole silhouette targets. Here’s a thought…only head shots count toward a score. 🙂

-d

Dan

Thom Van Vleck
                                        Participant

Dan, you know head shots are for show. Wound your enemy and he creates a much greater burden.

Thom Van Vleck

dwagman
                                          Participant

Thom, though you’re absolutely correct, I hold more of a sniper’s mentality. You start dropping people–one shot one kill–and the enemy doesn’t know where it’s coming from, that’ll really fudge with their heads.

So we doin’ The Challenge on Saturday or Sunday after lifting?

-d

Dan

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.