Home Forums General Discussion Big Hip Lift at Giants

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Big Hip Lift at Giants

KCSTRONGMAN
        Keymaster

This supposedly beat the WR hip lift done by Aussie Dereck Boyer. I saw his on youtube, and he did it with a hip belt, but also a walker. So not by our standards.

They would do some real damage o world recrds if they trained these lifts more. These guys are monsters
          ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Tom Ryan
          Participant

I watched the Boyer stone lift video and, yes, that was not a legal hip lift, but the hip lifts that Al mentioned were supposed to have been performed under IAWA rules. Yes, Eric, many records would fall if these guys trained to break IAWA records, but a hip lift is a tendon and ligament lift, not a muscle lift. Of course with many professional strongmen competing, it is logical to think that some of them will also be “off the charts” in terms of tendon and ligament strength.

Speaking of “super men”, I have recently been in contact with the biographer (and friend) of Noel Neill, as I had been thinking about her recently. The name won’t mean anything to most of you since she was before your time, but she played Lois Lane in the Superman serials in the late 1940s and replaced Phyllis Coates in the Superman TV show that was on during the 1950s when Ms. Coates decided not to return after the first season. I was a big fan of that show and even had a Superman cape when I was about 10 years old. I never mastered flying, however. 🙂

Noel is ranked #101 on the official list of the world’s oldest living actors and actresses, as she is 91. She had hip surgery in 2010 after she tripped in her living room. There is an article on the Internet in which her biographer stated that he was not sure she would survive the surgery because of her advanced age and it was stated that she was in considerable pain.

He told me that she is recovered and is doing fine, and at the age of 91 is not unhappy. She does walk with a cane, however, and does so gingerly. I am going to write to her (I assume that she doesn’t use e-mail) and will ask Larry which of the two addresses I found for her I should use. I also found a phone number, which may be out of date and calling would be intrusive, anyway. I am going to refer to some specific Superman episodes, so I will see how good her memory is. 🙂 Maybe I will get lucky and she will invite me to call her.

Noel was a model before her Superman days and her World War II pinup was supposedly second only to Betty Grable’s pinup. Here is how she looked in her Superman days, with George Reeves doing more or less a one-arm Zercher with her. Hey, imagine what Superman could have hip lifted. Boggles the mind. LOL

Al Myers
            Keymaster

Cool story Tom!

Where does she live? If she lives close to you, you ought to go visit her. Wear that Superman cape of yours and maybe that will impress her??? haha

Tom Ryan
              Participant

I’m not sure where she lives, Al, but I am hoping Larry will enlighten me. One address I found for her is in Metropolis, IL. They have periodic Superman celebrations there (http://www.supermancelebration.net) since “Metropolis” was the name of the fictitious city in the TV show.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), my Superman cape is long gone. If I do eventually speak with Noel Neill over the phone, I believe that will be a “new personal record” for the oldest person I have spoken to over the phone, breaking the record set when I spoke with my 90 year old uncle a few months before he died a few years ago. The oldest person I have spoken to in person is one of my high school math teachers, whom we invited to a joint high school reunion in 2010. She was 95 at the time and proud of it (!)… and still alive as far as I know. The oldest person I have corresponded with by e-mail is the legendary local sportswriter, Furman Bisher, who passed away on Sunday at the age of 93. I corresponded with him several times over the years, starting in 1983. He may have been the greatest sportswriter of all time, definitely in the top five. Al has had some kind words for my writing at times but Furman was in another league, as he was a great, great writer (and highly decorated) whose columns I had read since the 1950s and marveled at his writing ability. I felt honored to have finally met him and spoken with him briefly at a Georgia Tech sports lunch gathering in 2010. A year or two ago I asked him if it bothered him that he was not in the Georgia Writers Hall of Fame (he has been nominated but not elected) and he told me that he didn’t know that there was a Georgia Writers Hall of Fame. 🙂 Bill Clark knew him as Furman wrote an article about Bill several years ago. I will be calling Bill in a few weeks but I assume that news of Furman’s passing has reached Columbia.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.