Thom Van Vleck
      Participant

Bill Clark

Thom Van Vleck
        Jackson Weightlifting Club
        Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
        Keymaster

This was a much needed story on Bill. I thought I knew all of his weightlifting contributions, but then I learn he did even more than “what I thought”! Great story by Joe – and just wait till tomorrow with the PART TWO. Good stuff. Al

Al Myers
          Keymaster

And of course I have to mention that this story points out where All-Round Weightlifting originated – KANSAS!!! Not Missouri like everyone thinks. LOL Dinoman

Thom Van Vleck
            Participant

If we want to get technical “All Round” came from the “odd lifts” of Ed Zercher and his crew (of which my grandfather in law was a member which indicated NO BIAS on my part whatsoever…hahaha) which all start in South St. Louis, MISSOURI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thom Van Vleck

KCSTRONGMAN
              Keymaster

Great article on Bill. I am looking forward to part 2!
                ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Dale Friesz
                Participant

Clark is the true Triceratops – capable of taking on the TRex
                  and usually winning. GREAT story!!!

Al Myers
                  Keymaster

Hmm Dale, I would argue that Bill may be a Triceratops now (since he gave up red meat), but at one time he was definitely a T-Rex, as displayed by his red meat-eating exploits at Alexanders. But as far as the T-Rex/Triceratops battles I think the T-Rex would not only win, but eat the Triceratops as well! Proof of this comes from Wikipedia – “It shared the landscape with and was preyed upon by the fearsome Tyrannosaurus”

No one can expect a vegetarian to have any real strength!!!! haha THE DINOMAN, expert on all things dinosauer related

Thom Van Vleck
                    Participant

Al…..errr…DINOMAN! I’m confused. ON the wall the the Dino gym and the many tshirts from the many Dino gym meets I have attended there is a T-rex that symbolizes the Dino Gym. This, of course, makes sense. But the Dino Strength Team uses a triceratops! I’m confused by this! They say the Dino Gym is in the slums of Salina! What gives! haha

Thom Van Vleck

Tom Ryan
                      Participant

Joe,

I enjoyed reading Part I and I look forward to Part II.

I admit that I did a double take when I saw the name Homer “Brannon”, however, as I wondered if there could be both a Homer Brannum and a Homer Brannon. That did seem somewhat unlikely. I called Bill today as it had been several months since I had spoken to him and I had been trying to reach him recently. He told me that was indeed Homer Brannum, who became the first national champion in both Olympic lifting (1965, beating Russ Knipp by 5 pounds in the 148 class), and powerlifting, as the following year easily winning the national title in his class.

For any of you who are not familiar with Homer, like Joe (just kidding you, Joe :-)), he is profiled in Lifter’s Corner in the August, 1966 issue of S&H.

Homer did not live a long life as he died several years ago, apparently at the age of 62 or so.

Tom

Joe Garcia
                        Participant

Tom,

You are right, I don’t know him. When Bill and I were talking, seems to me that he wasn’t sure on the spelling of the name. Not sure how to correct that in a published article.

Al Myers
                          Keymaster

Joe, Welcome to the club – you’ve just been “Ryanized”. LOL

I made the spelling correction in the story. That is the beauty of website stories – corrections can be made at any time with just a “click”. I do think it is very important that the facts be accurate in stories, because you never know who might reference this material in the future. There is lots of misinformation on the internet and I don’t want to be part of that. I DO appreciate anyone who notices mistakes and points them out to me (thanks again Tom!). Al

Dale Friesz
                            Participant

Dear Dinoman – I humbly beg to diagree with you. As I have noticed over the years there are as many diets as there are ways to train – meat, vegetables and brewed products. If I am not mistaken I seen someone similar to you partaking in all of the above. In addition I am pleased to see that you do not want mistakes on these pages. If I were you I would not bet the family jewels on Wikipedia. Accoring to my reference which has been around far longer than yours, the TRICERATOPS was more than able to take his share of the battles with trex (noticeower case)!!! I know that it is hard to always be right – but I am seldom wrong. Just ask Jimmy Buffet.
                              Dale M & D Triceratops.

Al Myers
                              Keymaster

haha I’m NEVER going to win this debate if you and Thom are both ganging up on me! So I better quit now!!!!

Dale Friesz
                                Participant

Dear Dinoman: two and you are out – no mas!

Tom Ryan
                                  Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on January 4, 2012, 10:28[/b]
                                    Joe, Welcome to the club – you’ve just been “Ryanized”. LOL

I made the spelling correction in the story. That is the beauty of website stories – corrections can be made at any time with just a “click”. I do think it is very important that the facts be accurate in stories, because you never know who might reference this material in the future. There is lots of misinformation on the internet and I don’t want to be part of that. I DO appreciate anyone who notices mistakes and points them out to me (thanks again Tom!). Al

“Ryanized”. Right, Al. LOL Well, I have to Ryanize you again, Joe, as in Part 2 you referred to Buck O’Neil but you had his last name misspelled as “O’Neal”. (see
                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_O%27Neil). As the latter states, he was the oldest person to ever have a plate appearance in a professional baseball game, which occurred when Buck was 94. Then he died a few months later. As you said, Joe, he and Bill were friends up until Buck’s death and I know that Bill had a high regard for him.

Regarding Homer Brannum, please note, Joe and Al, that “Brannon” is also in Part 2.

Al Myers
                                    Keymaster

haha I KNEW THAT – I was just “testing” you!

Tom Ryan
                                      Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on January 5, 2012, 11:00[/b]
                                        haha I KNEW THAT – I was just “testing” you!

I assume you mean the “Part 2” thing. Buck “O’Neil” also?

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.