Bumper Plate Repair

Home Forums General Discussion Bumper Plate Repair

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      dwagman
      Participant

Bumper Plate Repair

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
        are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
        compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

Randy Smith
        Participant

What company made the plates? I.e., what kind of rubber (and/or other stuff) is in them. Some things have a mold release agent that almost nothing will stick to.

With that info, sombody with a chemistry or chem engineering background might be able to help.

Randy

61pwcc
          Participant

I’ve thought about using a just too small bicycle tire for this problem. Figured I’d have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Squeeze the plate in the tire hoping for a SNUG fit and pray for the best!!

dwagman
            Participant

Randy, they are 5 Eleikos and 1 Uddeholm. The Uddeholm split on one side and that seems to be holding pretty darn good with silicone. That’s an interesting point about chemistry. I bet that would be able to solve the problem but I don’t have access to that sort of resource and it might be more involved than what it’s worth. Hey, maybe I could find a chemistry grad student who lifts weights and needs an idea for a masters thesis…

Jim, not sure if a bicycle tire would do it, but perhaps a motorcycle tire. But I would think that all that would do is prevent the pieces from dropping out but wouldn’t do much to prevent further splitting since that already started. But for new plates, I bet that idea would prolong the life of the bumpers.

Considering all of the time I’ve spent on this, and all of the queries I’ve launched, with no definitive answers, I think I might have to just train with lighter weights and take up bodybuilding. Yup, that’s the ticket…

-d

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

KCSTRONGMAN
              Keymaster

Ask John Obrien

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

dwagman
                Participant

[b]Quote from KCSTRONGMAN on July 25, 2013, 09:41[/b]
                  Ask John Obrien

Eric, I can’t recall meeting John. Do you have contact info?

-d

Dan

Al Myers
                  Keymaster

Dan, Before you start a giant rubber fire, you should check out the collector value of your Uddeholm bumper. Those are extremely rare and might be worth more than you imagine (even if in damaged condition). I’ve seen some of the prices that these type of items fetch on ebay.

Who knows – you might sell it for enough to buy yourself a new set of econo bumpers???? Al

dwagman
                    Participant

Econo bumpers?

Al, oh Al, do you really think I’d slip one of those cheap China plates over my TEXAS POWER BAR???? LOL

But seriously, I do realize that it’s a rare plate. I was hoping that I’d get two of them, but the rest of them were in good condition and the S&C coach wouldn’t let them go.

And I know you just wanna touch it…hehehe…but since that’s not possible, here’s a picture of the front and back of the plate. Note where I siliconed the back of it at the bottom of the second image.

Dan

Al Myers
                      Keymaster

Dan – It would be a crime against the world of weightlifting to put a torch to that plate!!

Can I talk you into bringing it along to my place next month so I could see it firsthand??? You know I have a old Uddeholm bar in my bar trophy case that it would fit finely on??

We may have to put “our dispute” on hold as I wager a barter with you. haha

dwagman
                        Participant

You DO wanna touch it, eh? hihihi

Al, this plate is actually pretty well repaired and holding up nicely. It’s the remaining Eleikos that have a split, of varying sizes, where the rubber is in contact with the platform. On about two of them, that split goes deep and has even internally separated from the outer wall.

I’m sorta sentimental about my bumpers and you’d find it difficult to convince me to let any one of them go. Besides, I have to ask, considering the fact that these plates probably still have, what you would consider “KU skank” on them, why would you want them in your K-State infested gym?

If you’d like, we can continue this via e-mail…

Dan

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.