Home Forums General Discussion Dino gym record day

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      murdo01
      Participant

Dino gym record day

Al Myers
        Keymaster

I wish I was around to see Wilbur put up all those big lifts of his when he was younger, but getting to watch the LEGEND in action in the Dino Gym on Sunday topped anything I have ever seen. Wilbur is still outlifting guys half his age, and at age 79 is still putting up lifts that don’t even seem believable. I won’t say more now – it will all be in tomorrows meet report. Al

Anonymous

After I got his last name I went and did a bunch of reading about him. Such a honor to even get to share a platform with him.

Jesse

Chad Ullom
            Participant

There was some outstanding lifting while I was there for sure! I have to say the things Wilbur did were absolutely amazing! It was another great weekend at the Dino Gym! One of the best times I’ve had in quite some time.

Tom Ryan
              Participant

Al,

I did see Wilbur Miller lift when he was a young man, as he competed in the 1964 Olympic Tryouts, finishing 5th in the heavyweight class. Wilbur wasn’t really an Olympic lifter but he did compete in many Olympic lifting competitions. He was good at the quick lifts and made the 3rd highest snatch (308) at those Tryouts, trailing only Schemansky and Gubner and doing more than better known and much heavier lifters Sid Henry and Lee Phillips were able to lift, in addition to Tommy Suggs and future stars Gary Deal and Joe Dube.

The one thing about Miller that stands out in my mind is his tremendous hand strength. He did his deadlifts with an overhand grip, as I recall, and was the national record holder when he made 715 in 1964, at a time when powerlifting was just getting started in this country. That was extremely impressive for his era since he usually weighed only about 245. In fact, he appeared on the cover of Lifting News performing a heavy deadlift with an overhand grip and I believe that photo may be the one that I cut and pasted below.

I look forward to reading about what he was able to do a few days ago at the age of 79, but I am probably not going to be very surprised. 🙂

Tom

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.