Grip strength and suicidal thoughts

Home Forums General Discussion Grip strength and suicidal thoughts

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Lance Foster
      Participant

It’s good to see you contributing to the website, Dan. I read the abstract of the research article. From the sound of it, the Columbia Suicide Risk screening, or another similar instrument, was used. The Columbia is widely used in the mental health field, and considered a valid instrument. Regarding the statistical analysis, I only saw that a correlational test was used.

What other statistical tests were in the full article? I am too cheap to pay for the full article!

As good researchers all know, and as you mentioned in your article, and in the original research, correlation does not prove causation.

The Gloved One

dwagman
        Participant

Hi Lance,

Sorry for the delayed reply. As you might recall from previous posts/blogs, I’m off the grid and only get to town and on the Web about once/wk.

Please note that this is the first study that looked at a potential link between grip strength and suicidal thoughts. As such, the researchers’ objective was to only establish if a link existed and if so, what that link might look like. Establishing a correlation is a good first step and they didn’t perform any additional analyses. Now that we know there is a link, future research will likely try to ascertain more detail regarding the strength of the link, the direction thereof, etc.

As to your correlation comment, although you are correct in that correlation does not prove causation, it also does not disprove causation. Once again, that’s where future research will be able to provide more detail.

I hope you recovered well from your “Worlds Incident” in the pull-over and push. That lift is one that has frustrated me greatly, even though I was able to clock a 20-some pound gain over Worlds in 2012. But after watching you and some of the other guys and your difficulties, I have to admit that my issues with that lift are piddly in comparison. Good grief…

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
          are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
          compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.