Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      61pwcc
      Participant

Interesting Site

Al Myers
        Keymaster

Thanks James for that link.

I read that with interest as that is not the first time I have heard of that device. Years ago I found an old poster advertising it under the name “the strongman machine”. I made a replica of it and have used it a few times in training. But truthfully I felt I was wasting my time because “why use that when you could be using the heavy bar?”. I had never heard it referred to as Professor Schmidt’s Automatic Exerciser. I wonder who Professor Schmidt was? (Tom – do you have the answer to this?). Having it the name Schmidt sure fits it however as Steve Schmidt is probably the best heavy lifter in modern history, but I’m sure this was named way before Steve’s time. Interesting how the discussion forum on this site commented about how John Grimek used it during his travels to simulate the heavy lifts without requiring the large quantity of weight to be used. I do disagree with the statement of the Ironmind Harness holding over 3500#s, and up to 7000#s. I have one of these and it seems to start stretching at 1000 pounds, at which point I became uneasy pushing it any more. Al PS this is ANOTHER great story idea!!!

Al Myers
          Keymaster

Coming tomorrow – a USAWA Daily News story on the Schmidts Automatic Exerciser!!! Thanks James for this story idea. Al

61pwcc
            Participant

And I thank my girlfriend Lisa who found it while looking up information on Hip Belts.

Tom Ryan
              Participant

I just looked it up and it doesn’t sound familiar. I’ve heard of the person, however.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.