Tom Ryan
      Participant

Joe Weider passes

61pwcc
        Participant

WOW. May he rest in peace.

dwagman
          Participant

Wow, that saddens me. He was a great guy. He had unbelievable passion for lifting and bodybuilding. He was the only guy at Weider when I was there who showed any true passion for lifting, besides myself. We hit it off from day 1.

He’d come by my office weekly, all excited, drag me to his office to show me something, which was inevitably pictures of old timers lifting stuff. I knew a lot of these guys, and their history, which he appreciated. I remember this one he showed me of himself, a mere 13 or 14-years old, doing a clean and jerk, with his shirt off, outdoors, skinny as all heck. Back then (late 90’s) he was also still training all the time. One day I saw him in the garage, limping as he left his car. I walked up to him, put my arm around his shoulders, and go, “Joe, you hurt yourself squatting?” He looked at me all indignant like, told me about a foot surgery he had, and he was all pissed off because he had to do leg presses instead of squats the evening before. I could go on…

RIP Joe.

-d

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

Those who are enamored of practice without science
            are like a pilot who goes onto a ship without rudder or
            compass and never has any certainty to where he is going.

Leonardo Da Vinci; 1452-1519

Al Myers
            Keymaster

Dan – GREAT STORY on Joe Weider!!

When I really got going in lifting (early 80’s), Muscle and Fitness was the only easily available choice for training information for a young kid. I was a big fan of Weider and this magazine. He was very influential in the lifting world, and will be missed by many. Now I’m trying to remember just one of the “Weider Principles” and I can’t come up with anything!!! Dinoman

KCSTRONGMAN
              Keymaster

Wow-I just read an article about him in M&F. Very influential in the iron game. It talked about how he was a businessman, but his passion was still the iron and lifting. I can appreciate that. MAde a huge mark. RIP
                ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

61pwcc
                Participant

Supersets, retro-gravity,rest-pause,seague,iso-tension,speed reps etc. How could ya forget!!

dwagman
                  Participant

In the late 90’s when I was Joe’s Health & Science Editor (for M&F, to be more accurate), he came out with an updated edition of Joe Weider’s Bodybuilding System. It’s a book with several muscular charts and exercise charts in a hard case cover. Joe gave me a copy of it and I haven’t looked at it since then. I thought that ya’ll might be interested in how his principles brake down:

– 9 Principles To Help You Plan Your Training Cycle
                    – 12 Principles To Help You Arrange Your Workout
                    – 13 Principles To Help You Perform Each Exercise

What’s important to me, as an exercise scientist, is what I mentioned before in the discussion on Stiff-legged deadlifts; Joe was a pioneer in the weight training and bodybuilding realm. He wasn’t the only one, but he was a key player. As such, and due to his training “guesses” he provided the impetus for those with equal interest, but with the skills of a scientist, to investigate the truth of these hypotheses. Many of his (and other’s) principles have been proven wrong. This doesn’t at any level diminish Joe’s intellect or his insights; the simple fact is that knowledge advances due to science and the human race and society is better off for it. Joe understood this, and I had mentioned in the SLDL discussion, when he learned that I had found one of his principles to be wrong, he embraced that and wanted to know more. Perhaps for that, more than anything else, I hold him in the highest regard because he was not afraid to admit to being wrong and he was willing to learn, even at that later stage in his life and even after he had achieved the standing he had achieved in his field of passion and professionally. For that, I have the deepest respect for him and he reminded me every day that I worked there, and still today, that I should never be afraid to admit to being ignorant and change my approach when I discover a more scientifically proven one. Frankly, in my estimation, he’d be the last guy who’d want people to train the way people used to train, hold on to old ways, etc.

-d

Dan

For Body Intellect Brochure click here: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0fcsokZWooW_1B1uZmL1AI5fA#BI-DW

dwagman
                    Participant

Here’s a page out of Joe Weider’s Bodybuilding System I thought you guys might appreciate:

-d

Dan

Thom Van Vleck
                      Participant

I am glad to read Dan’s message as I never met Joe and since I have a lot of respect for Dan I can take his word for it.

Joe was the consummate capitalist. So it’s good to know that while he made a lot of money doing what he did that he loved it, too. I got no problem with that….I just always wonder where Joe really stood on lifting and training and Dan answered that question.

I do find some irony that Hoffman (his biggest rival) wanted to live to be 100 and it ended up being Joe that came the closest! A\

As a side note, I called one of my Uncles and told him Joe had died (he has no connection to the lifting world other than me…but if you want to know what Tommy Kono Clean and Jerked in 1960 or what Alexeev pressed in 1971….Wayne would tell you. I told him Joe died and he said, “What….I thought he died a long time ago!” The guy sure was around a long time!

Thom Van Vleck
                        Jackson Weightlifting Club
                        Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.