Home Forums General Discussion John’s socks

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

John’s socks

John McKean
        Participant

Al, You sound just like my wife -she’s ALWAYS screaming at me for dirting socks when training in the garage gym!! But,hey, when you’re retired like me, sometimes getting socks on your feet is as far as you need to get on a winter’s day -summer I do go barefoot!! Besides I rushed downstairs the other evening to have Rob take this photo, and he was not in the mood to wait, after working all day, while I sought out proper footwear or attempted to pretty myself up (Rob would say “What’s the use? Ya can’t shine manure!!!”

Joe Garcia
          Participant

Actually, at home I almost always workout in socks. Just a habit that start some time ago.

Anonymous

I don’t mind working out in socks, but I am too much of a clutz to walk around my gym without shoes on. Just the other day I was walking across the gym to put my olympic shoes on and nearly broke my toe as I tripped over a piece of equipment.

Jesse

Tom Ryan
              Participant

[b]Quote from joegarcia on January 29, 2012, 21:14[/b]
                Actually, at home I almost always workout in socks. Just a habit that start some time ago.

Joe,

You have a rough idea of the condition that my feet are in. I’m surprised that your feet aren’t also falling apart! Not at any point in my life could I imagine myself working out without shoes. Ouch!

Tom

Thom Van Vleck
                Participant

I got an uncle that trains barefoot. I wear shoes at all times when training. I like to lace them up tight, too. I also have throwing shoes for good weather, bad weather, special shoes for the caber, squat shoes, olympic lifting shoes, cross trainers, wrestling shoes for the deadlift, so not only do I wear shoes, I have lots of special shoes for different types of lifting…..but I still have a LONG way to go to catch my wife!

Thom Van Vleck
                  Jackson Weightlifting Club
                  Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
                  Keymaster

I’m with you on this one Thom! Right now I have three pairs of lifting shoes that I use when I train – my squat boots, my wrestling shoes for deadlifting, and my Olympic shoes. Sometimes I wear all three of them at some point in the same workout! Also, I ONLY wear them in the gym. I have training partners who wear the same pair of shoes when training as they wear into the gym! Al

I’ve worn out shoes just using them for training. No wonder my hips are showing signs of wear and tear!

John McKean
                    Participant

Al, Ya know, I may have been influenced early in my training by reading(and seeing photos) that Paul Anderson trained barefoot -even for his huge squats. And if memory serves, I believe at several of the exhibitions he gave around here that I attended, that he went “formal” and wore just socks! So possibly the only common “thread” between me and mighty Paul is socks!

Al Myers
                      Keymaster

I know several lifters like to lift barefoot or in socks, and lots of the Oldtimer Strongmen didn’t ever wear lifting shoes. Guys like Arthur Saxon. I’m not saying this is wrong. Maybe its just my generation of “being sold” the importance of special lifting shoes. But then again – I’m like Tom Ryan and the idea of going barefoot scares me! I even wear shoes in the house. Al

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.