Home Forums General Discussion More chicanery

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Tom Ryan
      Participant

More chicanery

Al Myers
        Keymaster

I had seen that on the IAWA FB page, and it caused me to “look closely” at the plates to see if they are real! Any idea who this lifter is? Al

Thom Van Vleck
          Participant

I had that sent to me on my facebook page and the claim was 153lbs which would be possible. Used to me you could look at the plates and easily tell.. but anymore there are so many different sizes. I have a lot of different sizes of plates and you can load the bar out to the ends and lift it!

Thom Van Vleck
            Jackson Weightlifting Club
            Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Tom Ryan
            Participant

I’m still not believing that photo. If the weight is 153 lbs. and the bar weighs 44 or 45, then those large plates average slightly under 14 lbs. each. Not if they are made out of iron!

Of course there are some plates that don’t weigh very much that are used in women’s and junior competitions, but if a woman called for the equivalent in kilos of 153 pounds (69.55 kilos), the loaders almost certainly wouldn’t put four plates of that size on each end of the bar!

This photo looks like something that might be used in an advertisement. Maybe a caption like “Believe it or not, weight training can turn your grandmother into an elderly Wonder Woman. 🙂

I would guess that woman must be at least 75. Can a woman that age deadlift 153 or more? Sure, it has been done. Almost 40 years ago there was a woman whose name may have been Helen Zinsmeister. She was 76, I think, and gained a measure of fame by deadlifting 180 or so. I’m sure I have a photo of her, but I can’t find it.

She appeared on one of the leading talk shows of that time and deadlifted 135. The host struggled to lift it and I am not sure he got it off the floor. I think she figured he was probably messing with her, so she said “That’s only 135 pounds”.

Tom

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.