Home Forums General Discussion Pullover and Push Question

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      61pwcc
      Participant

Pullover and Push Question

Al Myers
        Keymaster

The hands must keep their original grip position. The width of hand spacing is optional. The rules don’t specifically state this about not allowing a change in hand position, but instead says, “Hands must remain on the bar throughout the lift”. I guess it would be possible to change hand spacing and not really remove your hands from the bar. Good point!! Al

61pwcc
          Participant

Not what I wanted to hear but if I’m going to do it then I best to it RIGHT!! Thanks for clarifying. Definitely curious to see what I can do on this move!!

61pwcc
            Participant

Switched to a Snatch grip on these tonight. Worked on Log push Press off the rack, next did Floor Log Presses 16″ off floor pushing on the OUTSIDE of the log. Sluggish on those. Finished with Pullover and Push. 2nd time doing them. Hit a 25lb PR!! Was afraid how shoulders would feel. So far so good. Tomorrow will tell. Seriously, people get 400+ on this=WOW

Chad Ullom
              Participant

I don’t believe a narrower grip on the pullover would help. I actually take a wider grip for the pullover. It’s harder for me to get the bar to my chest with even a bp grip width. I can’t get my elbows underneath enough to get it to my chest.

61pwcc
                Participant

I agree. I actually ‘overshot’ the bar using a Snatch grip. When I push/press, I think of pulling the bar apart vs. just pushing straight up. Seems to help.

Ben Edwards
                  Participant

Great tips guys! I didn’t understand that about the snatch grip on the pullover part. I would’ve been able to pullover a lot more than I did at the 2009 USAWA Nationals. Just wouldn’t have been able to press it probably.

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

61pwcc
                    Participant

Now I’M confused Ben. If your hands have to stay where you start ’em for the entire lift, then a wider/Snatch grip will give you the least possible distance to push the bar to lockout. Now if you’re like me who has an abysmal lockout, then yes a Snatch grip is going to be rough. I’m realizing how much more Tricep strength I need. I feel the Snatch grip technique will be something I grow into as my Triceps catch up. Just because I can do more with a narrower grip NOW doesn’t mean that’s the best way to go.
                      I try to find the shortest way to lift stuff then catch up the weak links to match that technique. I hope this makes sense.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.