QUESTION

Home Forums General Discussion QUESTION

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

QUESTION

Al Myers
        Keymaster

Thanks Dave!! I usually “borrow” pictures from other sources. I’m sure this will eventually get me in some sort of trouble. But until then – I’ll keep them coming for your benefit! Al

Participant

when i got out of college, (mid ’70s. i did’nt graduate but that’s a WHOLE different story. lol), got married and worked in the oil patch, i subscribed to the old ‘IRONMAN’. i realized at the time, as i am soooo aware now, what an outstanding publication it was.

i was into power lifting. whenever an issue came, i skipped over the bodybuilding, oly lift and ‘old time’ lifter articles to try and see what was being done in the PL world. i remember, to this day, thinking, “what can those old guys teach me??” what a dumbass i was!!

as they say in the venacular, “too soon old. too late smart.”

KEEP AN OPEN MIND, MY BROTHERS……..

Thom Van Vleck
            Participant

I have a pretty sizeable collection of Iron man, S&H, MD mags and going back to the 30’s and that’s were I get them.

Thom Van Vleck
              Jackson Weightlifting Club
              Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
              Keymaster

I agree with you on that one Dave! When I was a young lifter, I used to think that the only “good” training information was in the most current issue of Muscle and Fitness. Now as I’ve got older, I’ve realize that this is the FARTHEST THING from the truth. Todays muscle mags feature only the most genetically gifted, faked tanned, chemically enhanced lifters around. There mag pictures are probably even digitally enhanced! Most of the training programs they propose in mags are probably not even true, only made up to sell subscriptions. What they say DEFINITELY does not apply to old hardcore lifters like myself, who is not really concerned about my arm size or muscle definition in my thighs! The old mags (like MD, Ironman, and before that Bob Hoffman’s Strength and Health) contain TRUE advice about how to get strong and STAY strong. We as lifters have forgot MOST INFORMATION about how to train properly, and are quick to dismiss the oldtimers advice as archaic, out of date information.

One of the things about the USAWA, or All-Round Weightlifting in general, that really appeals to me is that we EMBRACE the oldtime weightlifters and strongmen, and use THEM as our role models and inspiration instead of the latest SUPER STEROID FREAK that is the top bodybuilder of the moment. Just my opinion here guys…. Al – Always the Dinoman

P.S. I also read Men’s Health, but only for comic relief!

Thom Van Vleck
                Participant

I remember ordering Tom Platz’s leg training routine and almost killing myself trying to follow it. Years later I found out he didn’t even use it. He made up this crazy routine because he figured nobody would believe all he did was squat to one high rep set a week….because he was genetically gifted and on the juice.

I agree with Al and Dave…..

Thom Van Vleck
                  Jackson Weightlifting Club
                  Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
                  Keymaster

Everyone wants to know “the secret” to being a champion. And every muscle mag wants to give away this secret with every issue. And thus the fallacy begins! I have been around many champions and I’ll tell you what the secret is, and it has nothing to do with what exercise you are doing or how many reps per set you are doing, or what magic protein supplement you are taking.

This is it: Champions have the genetics to be great, the will power to train hard, and the belief that they will be successful. That is it. Nothing more to it. Pretty simple, huh?? Just like how to lose weight: Eat less food and do exercises that burn more calories. That is just too simple of concept to accept in the mind of people wanting to lose weight, plus with everyone these days looking for the “easy road” to success, millions of dollars are spent by consumers every year on finding the “weight loss secret”. Al

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.