Home Forums General Discussion Recovery question

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Chad Ullom
      Participant

Recovery question

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

Chad, if you are like me, I get hurt and I stubbornly keep trying to work the injured area when the reality is you need to rest it and build back in very slowly. This means keeping your percentage VERY low and building up VERY slow!

You might also try some trap bar deads as it is easier on the spine.

Do some supported rows, shrugs, and reverse hypers or light hyperextensions to work your back instead of heavy deads for awhile.

Get some massage as well or something like that to help.

Finally, I will say it’s amazing how fast your recuperation goes down at 40….welcome to the wonderful world of masters! HAHA

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Travis Willingham
          Participant

Been in the same spot many times. Light weight for high reps (high reps for me is like 10-12). I came back from tearing both calf muscles and losing a tendon by squatting 135 for 5-6 sets of 10-15. Then working up to 185 x 10, … Lots of reps, SLOWLY going back up in weight. I’ve done this for a low back strain as well. And I’d also say GMs and hypers. I came back from an injury by making sure I added in light GMs each session to warm up for the DLs.

Abe Smith
            Participant

I have done the following:

Very light good mornings with very high reps. We are talking like a 15 pound bar for 70 reps.

Very light deadlifts with high reps. After I hurt my back Bill Clark told me to take 135 lbs and work up to doing a set of 50 reps. I do not know if it would have worked because I did not heed his advice and ironically my back did not really heal until I gave the light good mornings a shot.

A lot of times walking has really helped my back.

I would say stretch but I have found that stretching actually made my back hurt worse.

I have found that learning proper movement patterns like the hip hinge and proper squat form that Dan John discusses was key to helping me finally get over my back issues. The hip hinge was a miracle worker.

When my back was “shot” I found that by doing sled work and farmers work kept my deadlift up without putting strain on the back.

Eric Todd has had some issues with his back as well and he has come back stronger than ever. You may want to try the KC board for some added input.

Chad Ullom
              Participant

Thank you all for the responses, good stuff! I’m def coming back slowly. I’ll add the GM in place of DL. I also did some stiff dl this morning, sets of 5, not terribly heavy. I may drop weight and add the reps til I’m closer to 100%
                Thanks!

John McKean
                Participant

Chad, Dick Hartzell at Jumpstretch has an amazing “hanging traction” with bands that REALLY helps a lower back into usability quickly! I think a vid of this is on the Jumpstretch site. If not,call Dick or Carl, they’ll be glad to describe this unique exercise/warup/rehab for you!

jarrod
                  Participant

some really good advice here, i just have one or two things to throw in. abe is right as far as not stretching your back much, but try stretching your hips & hamstrings. sometimes tightness there can pull on your back.

i’ve been going to a chiropractor who is under http://www.maximizedliving.com , & have had amazing results. i’ve gone to chiros for years, this has been hands down the most involved & effective care i’ve received.

also lifts from a split stance seem to to put less strain on your back. so when you do start getting heavy again maybe focus on jeffersons instead of DLs.

jf

Al Myers
                    Keymaster

Chad – You sure didn’t look like you had any back issues this past weekend at Team Nationals! Good lifting partna! Al

Thom Van Vleck
                      Participant

….and from the pictures, Al got a really close up look at your back and he should know.

Thom Van Vleck
                        Jackson Weightlifting Club
                        Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.