Remembering Wilbur Miller

Home Forums General Discussion Remembering Wilbur Miller

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Thom Van Vleck
      Participant

Here’s a story to get things started. My Uncle Wayne was a great presser. He still holds the Missouri State Record in the Clean and Press and I personally saw him do 370 at age 38 many years after his competition days were over. So when him and Wilbur would meet my uncle would always take the lead after the First lift. Wilbur would usually come back with a big snatch and retake the lead. But that day my Uncle was in the best shape of his life. He hit a big Clean & Press and then hit an all time personal best in the Snatch. He was still in the lead after the snatch. In the Clean and Jerk my Uncle opened with 330lbs. He Power cleaned the weight and I guess it looked easy according to my Uncle Phil. My Uncle Wayne said when he stepped off the platform Wilbur wasn’t smiling! Wilbur took the platform and left no doubt as to who was going to win the meet. My Uncle Wayne was proud that he made Wilbur sweat!

Thom Van Vleck
        Jackson Weightlifting Club
        Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Lance Foster
        Participant

Wilbur paid me a great compliment. I introduced myself, and said that I trained with ET. He said ‘you must be pretty stout to train with him.’

The Gloved One

KCSTRONGMAN
          Keymaster

I never knew hat, Sir. Cool to know.

Here is my story. I feel like I got to know Wilbur pretty well one day at the Dino gym. Cannot remember the year, but the meet was a press medley, frame carry, weight over bar, and stone series. I met Wilbur toward the beginning of the day, and we spent much of it together visiting. I had been looking online for an old powerlifting book by Terry Todd, which had gone out of print, and used ones were going for many pounds of sterling online. Dave Gasgow found out I was looking for one, and gave me his copy at this meet. Wilbur asked me to see the copy. He leafed through it and found a couple pics. I know one was him standing on a podium with Norb Schemansky from an oly meet, and one I believe with Terry Todd at a pl meet. It was not boastful when he showed me, it was as though he was sitting reminiscing with an old friend. When I won, it was Wilbur who presented me with my award. It was a pic of that transaction that was my profile pic on the KCSTRONGMAN forum for years. i am trying to find it. A couple weeks ago, I was lifting and my little man started digging through a box of my old plaques and pictures. Apparenty after meeting Wilbur I had sent a couple pictures to him for autograph. Everett asked my why two, and I said I couldnt remember, but I clearly had intended to gift one to someone else at the time. Everett assured me the second one was meant for him. Thom, I would love to have a copy of your Milo story to pass on to little man along with the pic. I would love for him to be inspired by this great man as I was.
            ET

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Denny Habecker
            Participant

I was at the meet in York when Wilbur deadlifted 725. I used to go to all the big meets in York in the early 60’s when I was just starting to compete. I also saw him lift in the National Weightlifting Championships in York. He was one of my favorite lifters from that era. One of the big thrills of my life was getting to meet him and talk to him at the Dino Gym a few years ago. Another great one is gone!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.