Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Ben Edwards
      Participant

Ring thickness for Index Finger Lift

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Al Myers
        Keymaster

Ben, The ring that will be used is a 5/8″ diameter 6″ throwing ring. That has been the typical ring used in the past in USAWA meets. However, in England smaller rings are used that more closely fit the fingers and have much smaller diameters. We should look at changing our rules on this to be the same as the IAWA(UK) as this gives an obvious advantage. Al

RJ
          Participant

But isn’t more to the spirit of USAWA to use original tools and implements than to use one that is specially fitted to best aid the lifter?

It is like the Olympic canoes and kayaks. To me they don’t even look like the originals. Yes they are better but now they have just morphed into the same type of structures that are no where near what a real wooden ones were like.

However I am all for IAWA (UK), USAWA, ARWLWA, and IAWA (Spain)rules being the same especially after finding out that they are allowed knurling on the 2″ bar.

Al Myers
            Keymaster

RJ, I agree with what you said, but it sure puts a USAWA lifter at a huge disadvantage in trying to go after a IAWA WR set with a small ring.

Ben Edwards
              Participant

Thanks, Al!

I was using a 1/2″ shackle. But after reading your post I attached my 5/8″
                triangle handle to a loading pin – with the shackle. Total length is right
                under 25″. I am still recovering from a few days with the flu. But I had
                to test it and see what difference in poundage it made.

On the 5th, I maxed out at 76lbs with both hands.

Yesterday evening I pulled 111lbs lefty. Righty was being testy and was
                in the low 70s.

Ben Edwards
                Participant

I’ve been training the Index Finger Lift on average every 10-14 days since my last post.

Last night I pulled 121 pounds both righty and lefty. Both were contest-legal pulls. I held the weight lefty for almost 3 seconds at lockout.

Then I loaded 132 pounds and pulled it to lockout lefty. And as soon as I got to the top of the pull – the triangle handle just blew out of my index finger’s grasp. And skinned my left index finger to the point where I will not be able to do any more Index Finger Lift training before the contest. Well, I might be able to do one more tune-up workout before the contest. But that will be pushing it.

My goal for the contest will be 132 pounds for both hands. Al has the USAWA all-time record of 130 pounds.

Al, may I purchase one of these 6″ diameter (5/8″ steel) rings after the contest, for my Highland Games training?

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.