Home Forums General Discussion Shadowboxing

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Shadowboxing

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

You should pay someone to let you beat the crap out of them as a warm up. Have them put on one of those sumo outfits with all the padding (or just have Tully or Mark do it naked) and then go crazy. I’m sure your wife would then view you as completely sane!!!!!

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
          Keymaster

Thom, Very funny – you ought to get a night gig as a comedian. What I think our USAWA Daily News readers would REALLY like to hear about is the time you trained using Arthur Saxon’s lifting program, and how you took it to extreme and did all your training in the nude just like Arthur and his brothers did. Wops – I just let “your” secret out!! Al

Chad Ullom
            Participant

Thom, you try to get other men naked, train naked yourself and make comments about Al & I traveling??? Hmmm, sounds like someone is deflecting?

Thom Van Vleck
              Participant

Chad, I’m a trained professional, it’s called transference, I don’t try and be a pharmacist, ypu leave the psychoANALism to me. Al,Sure, I train in the nude…while I spot my wife when she does the Arthur Saxon lift! At least that’s what it looks like she’s doing.

Al always starts it and I just finish it. I recall him telling me he wanted to keep the pervs off the message board….how could he know I was one of them!!!!

Besides, I’m just jealous because I can’t go to Scotland with you guys and I’m mad because Chad was the last man left that had attended ALL of the HASA championships until now. Now I’ll take the field alone….kinda like the Highlander…there can be only one!

How in the world did we go from shadow boxing to this!

Thom Van Vleck

Chad Ullom
                Participant

I really am disappointed about missing Kvlle. Who knows, maybe we’ll just come straight off the plane & throw! And you’right Thom, I’ll leave the ANALysis to you

Al Myers
                  Keymaster

Thom – How many years now have you put on the HASA Championship? Al

Thom Van Vleck
                    Participant

This will be #11. Steve started it in 1999 and I took it over in 2000. So, there’s “technically” been 11 and this will make 12, but one of them was in Swope Park in KC. I won my first B class that day and had the best overall caber with an 88degrees on the “gold” caber. It was a good day for me!

I have talked to Melanie about switching the HASA Championships back and forth between the “Backyard Games” and Kirksville. Kinda like how I started the Missouri State Championships and I’m looking to move it around to different games in Missouri each year.

Thom Van Vleck

Randy Smith
                      Participant

Back to Al’s original question.

I’m planning to try John’s warmup suggestions. Currently I usually warm up with a 1″ bar doing shoulder dislocates and overhead squats. And then I “play” with a 45# bar for a little while.

I got the Heavyhands book about 20 years ago. It’s an interesting different approach to conditioning than what most people are used to. I’ve used the heavyhands ideas as a primary workout at some times, and as warm up or active recovery at other times. The general conditioning that I get from it is easier on my joints than jumping rope or running. Adding the hand weights makes shadowboxing a lot more fun for me. If I use lifting straps with dumbells I don’t have to worry about throwing a weight across the room if my sweaty grip slips. Although I bought the official Heavyhands weights and some of the additional weights a long time ago I haven’t used them very much lately. I have a couple short handled 3# sledge hammers that I use for similar activities.

It’s something different to do with weights that’s on the light weight high rep end of the spectrum that I’ve had a lot of fun with in the past. Now I’ve got an excuse to give it a go again.

Randy

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.