Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      KCSTRONGMAN
      Keymaster

The first year

I'm the lyrical Jesse James

Joe Garcia
        Participant

Has it been that long? LOL. I remember that meet/demo when Steve performed, having just joined the gym. Bill had advertised a strongman to perform, and there was a father and son team in attendance, both big strong looking guys. The assumption was one of them being the strongman, so when Bill introduced Steve and up stands this 220lb guy, it was kind of a shock. But, he did go one to give a great demonstration of strength. His wrestlers bridge and press is still probably the most impressive lift I’ve seen.

Great story, Al.

Thom Van Vleck
          Participant

Guys named Thom/Tom are very similar:

Al says that “I got wondering the other day, just when was the official beginning day of the USAWA?”……hey, Al, I was wondering if when I ASKED YOU WHAT THE OFFICIAL BEGINNING DAY OF THE USAWA was when you “GOT WONDERING”.

Sure, never give your muse any credit for your inspiration! HAHAHAHAHA

Thom Van Vleck
            Jackson Weightlifting Club
            Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
            Keymaster

Thom – haha, I don’t remember that.

Most lifers know Steve Schmidt the heavy lifter, because that has been his speciality the last few years. But Steve was one heck of an all round lifter when he was younger. You look back in the ole Mo Valley record list you see his name with all kinds of lifts. He was the total lifter. Also, I have heard the stories from Bob Burtzloff of the meet battles between the two of them in the 80s.

Joe – was this strongman demo the first time you meant Steve?? Al

Joe Garcia
              Participant

Yep, I only knew Bill, and maybe another gym guy or two as I had only been a gym member for maybe a week or two. Course Bill had only been open a few days before I joined. Clark told me there was going to be that demo with Steve. I think we also did a bench meet on the same day.

Thom Van Vleck
                Participant

Steve beat me in a powerlifting meet in 1986. We both lifted in the 220lb class!!!!

Thom Van Vleck
                  Jackson Weightlifting Club
                  Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.