Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Myers
      Keymaster

Thom’s Highland Games

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

Thanks, Al, you are a great friend.

Daryl Burchett has been a top Masters Highland Games athlete for years in the midwest. I have probably went head to head with him more than anyone else. In the process of competition you either become closer, or farther apart…it never stays the same. With Daryl and me, we became the best of friends. I admired him, he was a man of God, a father to 8 kids, and a husband to his lovely wife, Kelly. Daryl is also 6’5″ tall, strong, a great athlete on the field. But I was more impressed with who he was off the field to be honest. For that reason, when he fell ill with cancer, I felt compelled to do something. One of the things we did was we decided to have a Highland Games and make it a fundraiser. I was hoping to raise a couple hundred bucks….and we raised 1245. I was, and still am, stunned at the giving. We also got to present the family with a framed tartan that is now on the official registry of tartans for kilts of the Brain Cancer society. Kilts made with this Tartan will have a portion donated to research. The Tartan itself is symbolic on every color and pattern. Robert Henderson came up with this and asked for the honor of unveiling this project at my games…..I was honored by that.

I got to admit, seeing Emily, Isaac, and Nathan in front of me as we presented this stuff made me think of my own kids. Almost lost it, but sucked it up and went on with the presentation. That day was about more than the lifting and throwing (we did some postal meet lifting, too!), it was about the brotherhood and sisterhood of sports. Made me proud to be a part of it and to be real honest with you, I credit Christ for this as He’s the one I prayed to about all this and my faith is what made it happen, not me. I will emphatically state that. Many amazing lifts and throws that day, but that was only the icing on the cake. I want to thank EVERYONE that came and everyone that donated…and it’s not too late, we are heading down for the Warrensburg Games and I got a couple of late donations that came so I’ll give it when we go down then!

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Participant

SUPERB!!

Ben Edwards
            Participant

Touching write-up Thom! Please let me know where I can send a check for his benefit and I’ll get that out to you ASAP.

https://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Thom Van Vleck
              Participant

Ben…and anyone else. I have actually gotten MORE donations since then! My plan is to go to the Warrensburg Games and present them with these new donations so anyone that wants to send me a check to give them you can make it out to Kelly Burchett or if you want it to be anonymous, I will also have an envelope of cash so if you send me a check I’ll cash it and put the cash in the envelope. My address is:

Thom Van Vleck
                23958 Morgan Road
                Greentop, MO 63546

Thanks again to everyone involved. Makes me proud to be a part of this sport!

Thom Van Vleck
                Jackson Weightlifting Club
                Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.