UntrapT Push Presses….

Home Forums General Discussion UntrapT Push Presses….

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      61pwcc
      Participant

UntrapT Push Presses….

Thom Van Vleck
        Participant

I had thought about presses with the trap bar….what advantages would you say this would have over a straight bar. Looks like it would simulate the DB press or even log press position. thanks for posting…always looking for new ideas!

Thom Van Vleck
          Jackson Weightlifting Club
          Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Al Myers
          Keymaster

I really like the idea of having the “rackable” trap bar. This would allow it to be used in the power rack for pulls or even presses. Thanks James!

61pwcc
            Participant

[b]Quote from JWCIII on April 9, 2013, 09:12[/b]
              I had thought about presses with the trap bar….what advantages would you say this would have over a straight bar. Looks like it would simulate the DB press or even log press position. thanks for posting…always looking for new ideas!

You’ve got to be 3 times tighter before you Push Press or Jerk. The ONLY contact point is your hands. Warm-up with the trap bar up to 65%-75% of your workout weight then switch to a straight bar. You are going to have a good time!! Those lifts with the straight bar will seem sooo easy. I have to drive my triceps onto my lats when I get ready(dip) to push overhead.
              Also, the trap bar is more severe at exposing an arm weakness. With a straight bar, you can make a lift with an uneven lockout. The trap bar allows your hands to move more front to back(yes like dumbbell)than a barbell. If anything, if you move one hand forward the other tends to go back!! I seem to not make many uneven lifts with my UNtrapT bar. I feel forced to stay ‘straight under the weight’, grind ‘er out or don’t.
              Not like the log at all. I’ve got some layback with a log trying to sit in my throat. A trap bar press is to a straight bar press like a trap bar deadlift is to straight bar deadlift. There’s not much need to move around the bar cuz’ there’s no bar to move around!! I think its great for teaching you to be tighter with your overhead lifting BUT I wouldn’t use it close to a meet. It’s kinda the opposite of lifting the Log which is way away from your COG. For Olympic lifters, they want to keep their elbows up when dipping before the Jerk. This is unnecessary with a trap bar. Actually, your hands are out to the sides of your shoulders so you can mash your triceps onto your lats when you dip. I know this is long but I’ve done ALOT of experimenting/working out with this bar.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.