Al Myers
      Keymaster

Vasilys Name

Participant

yes, i know how to spell it………S T U D.

Tom Ryan
          Participant

[b]Quote from dinoman on December 27, 2011, 11:05[/b]
            I have noticed Vasily’s last name spelled many different ways. In Dennis’s story of the day is just one of the many ways I’ve seen it spelled. Does anyone know the CORRECT spelling??? Al

I don’t know about “many”, Al, but the biography of him had it as “Alexeyev”, so perhaps that is correct.

I believe the most common spelling, however, is “Alexeev”, which is what I have always used. Admittedly, I had never seen the spelling that Dennis used. I see that is the spelling for Alexeev’s Wikipedia entry, however, but you will see something funny if you look at that entry. Specifically, above the entry there is a message that he is not to be confused with another person named “Vasiliy Mikhaylovich Alexseyev”, but if you look in the “Personal Information” section of Alexeev’s entry, you will see his full name given as just that! So obviously the left hand and the right hand haven’t managed to get together. LOL

To me he will always be “Alexeev”.

Thom Van Vleck
            Participant

Dave, I agree 100%. Tom, I also agree that to me he’ll always be Alexeev. Having specialized in the cyrillic alphabet while in the USMC as a Manual Morse Intercept Operator with a top secret security clearance (yeah…I probably didn’t need to mention all that and it really doesn’t make me an expert since I never had to speak Russian…., but I have a reputation to live up to as the Big Top)it should be noted there are 33 characters….so lots of letters that don’t translate directly to english. Alexeev spelled his name with Russian letters that won’t download on this forum but look at his wiki page to see it and I’m sure, being the devoted Soviet that he was he likely could have cared less how we spelled his name. As is often the case, there’s a translation, that is pretty much accepted, then some smart guy comes along and points out that when you say “Alexeev” you don’t get the full “russian” pronounciation so he threw a few more letters in there to make it sound more like “Alexeev” does in Ruskie! I’m sure there’s a LOT of ways to spell it and none of them will get us saying it exactly right!

Thom Van Vleck
              Jackson Weightlifting Club
              Highland Games athlete and sometimes All-Rounder

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.