Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      61pwcc
      Participant

Watching My Back

Al Myers
        Keymaster

GOOD POINT!!

I have never noticed imbalances with this muscle (QL) while lifting, but I did when I was throwing in the Highland Games. I attributed it to throwing the Scottish Hammer and doing all of my swings in only one direction. When I also started doing hammer swings in the opposite direction in training I felt it corrected this imbalance. I assumed it was this since I felt the muscle tightness in only one side, and deeper than typical back muscle pain. Al

jarrod
          Participant

thank you for the feedback guys, i’ve been researching the heck out of this stuff since my injury. i wanted to include a bit on lateral stability too but the article was getting on in length. for that i’ve just been switching to a one-handed farmer’s walk instead of carrying in both hands.

61, i just shot you a message on youtube, but my back is fairly far from 100%. i got some x-rays yesterday that showed a previous ligament tear which is pushing my L5 forward. also i have two compressed discs in my upper back. in any case, as i’ve suspected for some time now, back squats just aren’t going to happen for me.

the good news is that yesterday i also received a very generous sponsorship from guardian chiropractic in centennial, CO, and am in very good hands. i’m meeting with them two more times this week and hope to know more by friday.

jf

61pwcc
            Participant

Jarrod, I didn’t realize that was you that sent the message.
              I erased part of what I wrote to you but now that I know it’s you, I’ll rewrite it here for all to see.
              Knowing we are(mostly)dominant on one side, I believe our left and right sides are playing tug of war with our Quadratus Lumborum(QL). That goes for when we sleep as well.
              I also believe that with two arms pulling back and forth(dominant one actively the other isometrically)ie:dominant arm lifts while the other arm braces/supports, we get out of whack in the upper back as well. The dominant side is too short while the bracing side is too long. Add in a 20 something lb head on top and as Scooby-Doo would say,”RUT RO RAGGY!!” Though a Scooby Snack would taste good, you’d still hurt.
              Many moons ago I came up with a Reverse Deadlift. The best part of this exercise happens BEFORE I start. The set up is the key.
              I have a Power Rack with a built in Pullup bar. I set up a bar on the hooks in my rack so that when I support myself on my hands alone, my head rest against the pullup bar for balance. That knob on the back of the skull is just over the top of the pullup bar. FEET ARE NOT ON THE FLOOR!! I have a shoulder width overhand grip on the bar. As soon as my head rest against the pullup bar, I’ll feel my upper back/neck release. Sometimes I hear one pop, other times, I hear several. Curiously, they are always on my right side and I’m right handed. Coincidence? Maybe, but I don’t think so. Think vertical traction.
              Now for the exercise itself. Let the shoulders come up without bending the arms. Now push the shoulders down(reverse shrug) as you pull your knees up over the bar into the starting postion of a normal Deadlift. The head can move but keep it pushing back somewhat into the bar. Add weight/bands etc as needed. Definitely makes you more aware of how you deadlift.
              Just getting into postion alone has done wonders for my upper back/neck. Sometimes it’ll shift down into my SACRUM!!! Yes that area BELOW the Lumbars!! This and Side Bend work have done alot to keep me centered.
              Do what you Chiropractor tells you, I just try to share this when I can. I hope it can help any and all on this site. If there’s enough interest, I’ll make a video for it. Good Luck!!

jarrod
              Participant

i’d like to see a vid if you get around to it, sometimes i have a hard time picturing what’s described. there are so many ways to develop imbalances, it’s maddening. thanks for the info, i will give it a shot when i’m healthier. i’m strictly off any resistance training right now.

i also wanted to mention that my chiropractor is guardian chiropractic in centennial, colorado. they do excellent care & are generously providing me treatment as an athletic sponsorship. i’ve been really happy with them.

jf

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.